Replace back of iPhone 4 with wood.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lidomkj, Jun 29, 2010.

1. lidomkj macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

http://www.gresso.com/

I don't think this would be hard with the right tools. I might attempt this just to see how it turns out. I have a complete woodworking shop, including a duplicating machine that will carve wood as you trace the original.
    The more I think about, I am going to try and post pictures when I get started. First step is to order some exotic wood. I don't have any right now the size of the back. Just inlay strips.

2. MassiveAttack macrumors 6502a

3. ldkaplan macrumors regular

ldkaplan

4. Ctt713 macrumors member

Try to make one. It doesn't hurt anything and I would love to see how it turns out.

5. rwd hero macrumors 6502

This could look really good if you know what your doing. Maybe make the apple logo inlayed from another kind of wood I'm going to keep an eye on this thread, please keep us updated.

6. woodchip macrumors newbie

real wood skin now available for iPhone 4

Hi, this is now available for £15 including postage.
    woodchipskins.co.uk

7. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

That's just a skin, but close.

OP, great idea! I really like the idea of this. Assuming wood can be made to hold tight to the frame. Beats a glass back, that's for sure. Nothing like the feel of real wood. Even dented and worn, it just adds character.

8. mickbab macrumors 65816

mickbab

I realise this thread is now 6 months old, but if you are still looking or anyone else is interested, there is a short thread here about JackBacks, a wooden iPhone 4 replacement back cover. Looks pretty nice and can also be customised with your own artwork.

Sorry, no personal reviews here, just going off what I've seen from others, but do check out that thread for more details.

9. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

I too am curious of the outcome.

10. Mabyboi macrumors 6502

Mabyboi

This would be an amazing idea, especially in a nice dark wood. Im really interested to hear if the OP decided to make this :D