Replace battery at Genius bar

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hlafk, May 26, 2013.

1. hlafk macrumors newbie

Got a MBP mid 2009 that needs a new battery and can't seem to find any genuine batteries on the market so I cannot fix it myself...
    So I'll have to go to the geniuses and get this replaced!

BUT I'm worried about them refusing to replace the battery since I have done a few things on my own in there, I have replaced the track pad and upgraded the memory, resulting in the pentalobe screws are a bit messed up though...
    Hopefully they are still working :)
    Warranty is long gone for the computer, so that will not be an issue for me.

Will they...
    ...be happy to replace it?
    ...be angry and replace it?
    or
    ...refuse to replace it?

2. chrisperro macrumors 6502

chrisperro

if you paying for the battery don't worry about it,the even replace the screws if you tell them to.

3. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

They are only worried about that stuff when you have a warranty and are expecting free repairs.

Since you're paying and have no warranty it won't matter.

4. hlafk thread starter macrumors newbie

Sounds fair...

Is it possible to just schedule a battery replacement without the genius bar? Since I know what the problem is, can't I just make a reservation for a replacement so I know they have a battery on stock and all that? Or do they always keep plenty of batteries in stock?
    Will probably go to Apple Store in Century City, LA.

5. TUSL2C macrumors newbie

Battery replacement for portables with a built in non user serviceable part are always carried out through the Genius bar. There is no labour charge for fitting and is usually carried out as a while you wait repair.

The battery is highly likely to be in stock but it might be worthwhile checking first. Worse case scenario is that the battery can be ordered and you get a call to bring the portable in for service when the part is in stock.

As others have stated, mods made to your portable are of no concern if you just need the battery to be swapped out.

6. Siggen macrumors 6502

iFixit.com surly links to working batteries with high quality for your mac?