Replace battery iPhone 3G (Water damage)

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by MiBook84, Dec 9, 2008.

1. MiBook84 macrumors member

Hi guys and girls! I havean iPhone 3G that was dropped in water for a few seconds and stopped working. I got it since its owner bought a new one.

The first day I had it I charged it and it booted after about an hour and had the "full-charge" icon on the battery but could only run for about five minutes without the usb-cable. Left it over night and the same result the next day. Since then the battery has only been worse and it doesnt even work now.

I can boot into DFU but not any other way, if I do the apple logo will show and the phone dies a few seconds later. In the charger the phone will lit up for about 30 seconds. The funny thing is that when I removed the battery it would boot to the apple logo and stay lit but no futher. Trying to flash it in dfu on my mac (tried pc also) didnt work, it started by preparing to upgrade which reboots the phone and it cannot proceed.

I have ordered a replacement battery for it and I hope it might help. But I have no experience of theese batteries and I am a bit worried that it might explode or begin to burn. Also I could not find any instructions for how to install the new battery in the iPhone 3G. I guess I´ll find out when I get it but I wanted to ask if anyone here has done the procedure and could tell me how I should prepare.

I understand that it possibly won't work but I think it is fun to try and fix things, I do it alot :) :). But if it doesnt work I can always rely on my old iPhone 2G.

If anyone has any suggestions or ideas please let me know! I will keep you guys posted on this if and when I have any success with the phone :)

By the way merry christmas :D

2. jonysamy macrumors newbie

3. cmdrdata macrumors 6502

The ifixit site is a good start, HOWEVER, be very careful with connector 3. The tiny zero insertion force connector is fragile, and the flip up tab can easily break off. If that happened, you're going to need a new logic board or pay someone close to $50+ to get it replaced. Talking from experience here.