Replace battery or replace MBP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Raider2338, Mar 14, 2018.

  1. Raider2338 macrumors newbie

    Raider2338

    Joined:
    Oct 30, 2017
    #1
    It’s tax return time!
    My (mid 2012) 15” rmbp’s battery needs to be replaced. I don’t know whether I should just do that and save money OR

    If it’s worth it to put that $200 towards a new machine. I’d be able to get almost $400 for trading in my computer and an additional $200 for trading in my iPad Air 2.

    I really like the touch bar and considering stepping down to the 13” for portability.

    I’m not sure what type of performance difference to expect from my current model to a new one.

    I’d like to upgrade to a 512 SSD. My main needs are for some light video editing- currently using iMovie but would like to upgrade to final cut at some point. Other activities are light gaming and some photoshop.

    I have no idea how long I’ll be able to get somewhat decent value for my current machine. Been looking at apples refurbished 13TB. I’m tempted to wait for Apple to bring quad core to the 13” (do I even need it?) but worried about what they would charge.

    Any advice or perspective would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
     

    Attached Files:

  2. kschendel macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Dec 9, 2014
    #2
    Between the faster CPU and SSD instead of hard drive, a new MBP will be significantly faster. I don't know what it would benchmark, but I'm willing to guess subjectively close to twice as fast for anything not GPU-bound.

    I don't think I would worry about quad core. If you're doing video, even if it's not heavy duty, the GPU might have more of an effect. The 13" TB has Iris Plus 650 graphics which is probably a bit faster than the GT 650M in your old MBP, but I'm guessing not much. Whether that's an issue, I don't know, maybe someone who is more into video can answer.
     
  3. jeyf macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2009
    #3
    wait till apple fixes the MB keyboard.
     
  4. Glmnet1 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2017
    #4
    I also think you should wait. WWDC is in less than 3 months.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 15, 2018 ---
    And btw: ⇧⌘4 is very useful ;)
     
  5. Fishrrman macrumors P6

    Fishrrman

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2009
    #5
    Agree with others about "waiting".

    You could replace the battery AND upgrade the HDD to an SSD, and squeeze 2-3 more years out of the MBP.
    Those "unibody" non-retina MBP's are pretty robust...
     

Share This Page

4 March 14, 2018