Replace BlackBook Trackpad?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Hellishness, Apr 8, 2011.

1. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

I recently picked up a slightly upgraded BlackBook (2 GHz, 2GB, 250GB) from late 2006, and it was used as a main computer for around 3 years. It's in pretty good condition, and I was happy with the price of $500. The only thing is, the trackpad is worn to ***** and it's so smooth that my finger cannot easily glide over it sometimes. I will mainly use it as a desktop replacement after I sell my MBA (anyone wanna buy it ;)?) and buy an iPad...so is there anything easy/external I could do to fix it, do I have to replace the trackpad (or even like the whole top case which I'm definitely not doing) or find a magic trackpad on CL and just use that?

Thanks

2. msjones macrumors 6502

msjones

I'm pretty sure you cant just replace the trackpad as it's all part of the upper casing. If you have of the palm rest cracks these MacBooks are prone too apple will replace it for free even if out of AppleCare.

Alternatively you can source an uppercase from eBay and do the replacement yourself. It's very simple and takes about 10-15 mins to complete.

3. Hellishness thread starter macrumors 65816

Hellishness

..So my local apple store will repair my 4 year old laptop for free :confused::D? I'm interested, I'd go without it for a few days to have a new top case.

4. msjones macrumors 6502

msjones

Yup provided you have case cracking issues the MacBook is proned too. I had mine done back in January.

5. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Just making sure, I have a BlackBook and I think I have this? It has cracking around the top of the lip at the bottom of the computer? Like the corners where my palms/wrists are.... I bought mine second hand from a guy and if I take it to the apple store they would replace it for me at no cost?

6. Hellishness thread starter macrumors 65816

Hellishness

Word for word-exactly the same as my situation. I'd take it there this weekend.

7. msjones macrumors 6502

msjones

Yeah the cracking round the lip is one of the many areas these polycarbonate cases crack. You should get this replaced with no problems.

8. tallchris macrumors member

I too had it replaced at the beginning of this week, it has taken me a while to just used to the smoothness of the trackpad again, I don't think you'll have a problem.

The only thing i can think of is they might have to order in a part as blackbook repairs are probably less frequent might take an extra day or two?

9. Young Spade macrumors 68020

That's great, thanks for the replies. There isn't one remotely near here right now but when I get home for summer break I'll definitely drive over to the Apple store and have them replace it.