Replace bottom cover?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by creeman, Jan 15, 2011.

1. creeman macrumors 6502

I somehow managed to scratch the bottom cover of my 2010 Macbook Pro. I would like to replace, but I want to replace it with a NEW bottom cover. All the covers on eBay are used and have scratches on them. Where can I get new bottom covers for a 2010 15" Macbook pro?? Thanks.

2. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

Apple is the only option for new that I know of. Plus, they'll put your serial number on it as well.
    I looked into getting mine replaced, and I don't remember the exact cost, but I think it was somewhere near $100.

3. creeman thread starter macrumors 6502

If it is $100 from Apple that is not a bad deal considering the ones on eBay are about that much.

4. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

5. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Apple will not put your serial number on it. They will just give you a new bottom panel without the serial number...

6. creeman thread starter macrumors 6502

Its sort of hard to get a good picture of all the scratches, but you can see some of them here.
    [​IMG]
    Im not sure how it got scratched, since I baby the thing. And, also considering its aluminum, I didnt think it would be that easy to scratch.

7. tjb1 macrumors 68000

You are going to pay $100 just to replace the bottom panel because of two scratches? Seems a little ridiculous because it doesn't affect the use at all, maybe you need to work on protecting your computer/treating it better.

8. creeman thread starter macrumors 6502

$100 is small in comparison to the $2500 it costs.

I'm pretty sure I treat my MBP with care, carrying it in a booq vyper case which is inside a swissgear backpack everywhere I take it. I dont know how you get any more protection that that.

Why do people freak out when people want to spend money to have their things look nice? I spent $2500 on this laptop, I want it to look nice.

9. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Yeah you spent $2500 so shouldn't you have taken better care of it to not scratch it in the first place?

10. creeman thread starter macrumors 6502

I think I am taking care of it as best as I can. What else would you recommend then?

11. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Put a hard case on it...

12. Blu101 macrumors 6502a

Blu101

Scratches on the bottom cover don't really count...:rolleyes:

Plus he's looking to replace it.

13. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Yes, but spending $100 just to fix 2 scratches seems a little ridiculous to me. We all know that its overpriced for that piece of aluminum.

14. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

What`s the problem?
    If he wants to spend the money having it replaced then surely that`s his prerogative?
    I`d do it if it was bothering me.

At least it`s an easy DIY job, OP I say go for it.

15. jenzjen macrumors 68000

My only suggestion would be to wait a little longer, think of this like replacing a car's bumper when you live in NYC and parallel park all day long. The bottom is going to get scratched again just by use. I baby my products, too, but the bottom always manages to get some scratches.

16. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Exactly.

17. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

Completely agree. It's his money- if it is bothering him, then get it fixed. But if scratches are a big deal to the op- then he should get a hard case after the repair.

18. pricej636 macrumors 6502

19. HBOC macrumors 68020

I am assuming that the unibodies are quite a bit cheaper for parts than the "classics" are?

*EDIT** i just looked on ifixit.com, and indeed Apple wisened up and made it "cheaper" to replace parts. The lower case is $149.99 from ifixit.com. On mine, the only option is to replace the whole lower case, and that is like $250+ from ifixit.com

20. tjb1 macrumors 68000

21. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Why do you care what he spends his money on? If the 100 bucks to replace the bottom cover is worth it to the OP then more power to him. Instead of criticizing his decision, why don't you offer him some more useful advice. ;)

22. tjb1 macrumors 68000

I did, put a hard case on it...

23. creeman thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, they have a bottom case for $110 which is comparable to Apple's prices and a lot easier for me to do considering I do not have an Apple store anywhere near me.

24. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Wow, why do so many people on this forum interject sardonic commentary because someone wants to do something that they don't personally find worthwhile or important? 90% of people would tell you that spending the ridiculous amount of money on a MBP isn't worth it.

Be sure to get one with either no serial number or a replaced factory one just for warranty purposes as it could hurt you and would certainly confuse anyone who you may give or sell the MBP to down the road.

You may also be able to repair the current scratches...if you are going to get a new one anyway, you might as well try this as worst case you make it worse and replace it anyway. I have one huge scratch on the bottom of mine and while I haven't had time to try this yet, I've heard good things about using these mechanisms on the MBP's paint type. I've used this on cars myself, but I can't say first hand how well they will work on the MBP. You have these options:
    1) Use an abrasive to 'stretch' the paint (Scratch X and GS27 are two 'consumer' grade products...pro products are much more potent and have the ability of: doing a better job, destroying the paint if you screw up, and burning the hell out of your skin)
    2) Use a touch-up paint to 'fill in' the scratch (you need to make your own touch-up paint which may require blending. Test this on somewhere other than your MBP and LET IT DRY as color changes with drying, especially in metallic paint blends. Certain powder-coating materials may also bring satisfactory results)
    3) A COMBO. I would use a touch up paint and toothpicks to literally fill in the elevation change of the deep scratches. Let that dry for full set time and then evaluate it. If it looks good, call it a day. Since no touch-up paint is from Apple, exact color match is unlikely and so you now use the abrasive to literally 'blend' the touch-up and factory paint. Do this slowly and carefully because often when it will look the best is right before you completely destroy all you've worked on. Other chemicals, including polishes and waxes can be used to manipulate the color/pitch/hue/blend but once again, go slowly and give each 'round' time to dry and reach its final 'end-point'. Once you hit the good point in which you are satisfied, I would put some barrier over it to protect it as any type of touch up is not as durable as the original finish. A few members have ranted about clear covers which seem to be a great and inexpensive form of protection. Even if you don't want to use it all around, I'd consider it for the bottom. DO NOT put anything over the cover-up until you are certain that it has dried.

If you aren't up for manipulating the paint on your own, take the cover to people who are good at it, such as an automotive detailer who does paint manipulation. If they can do it, it will literally take them a few minutes to a few seconds. Then throw up a few bucks and go on your way to get your product to protect it.

25. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Its anodized, not painted. The paint will not last and will be difficult to match.