Replace busted iPhone 4 or wait?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dmac77, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

So today I accidentally dropped my iPhone on my driveway and the screen has a nice crack that runs the entire length of the phone. I'm going to the Apple Store tomorrow to see what my options are in terms of a repair or replacement.

The phone still works and is useable (only one crack so the screen is still readable), but I plan on replacing it now or in the near future anyways. Should I just wait and see if the iPhone 5 comes out within the next month or so, or should I pay up now for a new iPhone 4? I've seen conflicting reports that the i5 is going to come out either in September or October, but what's the general consensus? I'll wait a month or so to replace the phone, but probably not 2 months.

Also, I've heard that Apple only charges $200 to replace a busted phone, but is that only if you are still within warranty? I bought my i4 on launch day and am therefore out of warranty. I'm not going to cough up $500+ for a new phone, and if that's what will be expected by Apple, I'll just use one of my parent's upgrades since they are very happy with their "dumb"-phones.

-Don

2. labman macrumors 604

labman

best way to do it right that update after you visit.

3. Statusnone88 macrumors 65816

Statusnone88

If it's still useable, then tough it out and wait for the new iPhone. I would be devastated if my iPhone 4 broke, and VERY tempted to replace it. If the Genius can replace it for $2-300 bucks, without blowing your upgrade, and you have that kind of cash around (not spending your iPhone 5 savings) then go for it.

But just realize, friend; in about a months time you'll be sporting a brand new phone if you decide to go with the 5.

Regardless, even if you do replace it you won't be stuck. You can always sell the upgrade on craigslist or ebay for more than you paid for it as long as you don't burn an upgrade.

4. shadrap macrumors 6502

I just did this today. Mine was out of warranty. They charged $199 and just swapped it out. I will keep it looking pristine and sell it when the iPhone 5 comes out.

5. Finz151 macrumors member

Finz151

Just wait it out; replacing your phone for $200+ at the Apple store is NOT worth it, especially with the iP5 on its way. I'd say the general consensus is an early/middle september announcement, with the release in early October.

6. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Buy an Asian replacement screen for $50 ish on eBay and replace it yourself.

7. barkomatic macrumors 68040

If its just cracked but still functions I don't know why you'd want to replace it now when you know that a new iPhone is coming in the next few months.

8. dave006 macrumors 68020

No, the $199 is an Out of Warranty replacement. It covers damage just like you have, since breaking the screen voids the warranty.

Yes, there are other options to replace just the front glass as a DIY project or at a repair shop.

The fact that you are beyond the warranty period is not a factor. My personal view would be to get a $199 Out of Warranty replacement for nwo and then when the iPhone 5 arrives you get a much better price for a recent replacement rather than an iPhone 4 with a broken screen.

Dave