Replace Cinema Display With Thunderbolt Display By Use of Warranty?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Nielsenius, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Nielsenius macrumors 6502a

I bought an Apple refurbished 27" LED Cinema Display around Christmas time last year (December 2011). I bought the Cinema Display instead of the Thunderbolt Display because my Mac is from 2010 and doesn't have a Thunderbolt port. Upon first use of the display I noticed multiple specs of dust under the glass. Under-screen dust specs and dead pixels have been a recurring issue with Apple products I've bought. I've successfully utilized the warranty on these defective products and had them replaced by Apple at no cost to me. I plan to buy a new MacBook Pro this spring/summer. There's the background, here's my question:

If I bring my Cinema Display into the Apple Store this summer and point out the dust specs it will be replaced. Would it be possible to get the Cinema Display replaced with a Thunderbolt Display (they are the same value)?

2. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Anything is possible. It will all depend on what they have in stock at the time. The warranty states that they have the right to repair, replace with like (which could be a refurb of the same model), or refund at their discretion, so it depends on the mood of the genius and/or manager at the time.

3. Nielsenius thread starter macrumors 6502a

Alright, well it sounds like there's a good shot that my exchange will work. I've had good luck with the Apple Stores and geniuses in my area in the past.