Replace damaged CAT6 cable?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by design-is, Aug 23, 2010.

1. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

Hi all

I use a CAT6 cable to connect my cable modem to my time capsule. One of my lovely cats recently thought it would be fun to chew through part of it, though not all of it.

It still seems to work fine and my internet speed doesn't seem to of suffered...

Does anyone know if all of the wires are used? Should I replace the cable or is it unimportant that a few wires are severed?

Thanks for your thoughts...

/Doug

2. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

Even this one still worked fine:
    [​IMG]
    I just replaced it in favor of a Cat.6 one, this is Cat.5e. (It connects one 100Base-T device, though)

As long as all copper cables and shielding are intact, it should work fine. Else replace it, this 10m cable costed me $5 to replace with a Cat.6 one.

On 1000Base-T (aka Gigabit-Ethernet), all 8 wires are used. On 100Base-T only the yellow and green wires are used.

3. design-is thread starter macrumors 65816

design-is

Thanks for your reply :)

This cable only connects the modem to the router and isn't part of the rest of the network. The chewed cable does have some coper wires broken (maybe 2), but I only have 10Mb/s internet, so I guess it's not necessary to replace.

Much appreciated!

/Doug

4. design-is thread starter macrumors 65816

design-is

On closer inspection, I think it's a yellow striped wire which has had a 1cm (ish) section eaten... :mad:

So I'll be looking to get a replacement shortly.

Thanks again for your wisdom ;)

5. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

feed your cat so that it won't have to eat cables. :cool: