Replace defective 16GB iPhone with 32GB iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by EnchantedPlague, Apr 2, 2011.

1. EnchantedPlague macrumors member

So I am having issues with my 16GB iPhone again. I was wondering if when i got it exchanged for another referbed one, if I could pay a few more $$$ and get a referbished 32GB one instead? Does anyone know if apple allows this?

2. ashman70 macrumors 6502a

No they do not, if they replace it they replace it with the exact same model. In some rare and unusual cases, people have gotten upgrades, but as I said, those are rare and unusual circumstances, standard practice is to replace with the exact same model.

3. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

They'll only replace it with a bigger model if they're sold out of the exact same phone you have. In this case, you will not be charged extra.

4. iFiend macrumors 65816

I love it when people say whatever they want with absolutely no baring of truth whatsoever.

5. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

Yeah, and if you're lucky like me, you'll have to pay $199 to replace that 3GS. My wife's melted down last night. It was in her pocket and started getting very hot. It drained the battery in the matter of minutes and scared the heck out of her. We went to the store today, explained everything and they said, too bad, so sad, it's a few months out of warrantee so cough up another $199 for an off contract replacement or $49 + 2 year extension.

Since she needs it for work tomorrow, instead of trying another store, we paid the $199 and will now contact the Apple Legal department.

6. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

I know I tried and failed.

You can give it a shot, but there is no guaranty they'll say yes.

7. iFiend macrumors 65816

There is a guarantee they'll 100% say no though

8. Block macrumors 6502a

Block

Generally they will say no. Why don't you ask and find out?

9. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Why would you contact their legal department, for not charging you full price for a replacement?

10. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

It's never happened to me personally, but three our four dudes I know, their phones were faulty and they originally had 16GB 3GS and they got bumped to a 32GB. Maybe they were lucky but it makes sense. Apple shouldn't make you wait to have your defective phone replaced just because they don't have the exact same one and they're too cheap to bump you up.

So yeah, there was a baring of truth in this. I love when people say whatever they want because they're on the internet.

11. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

How about for causing BURNS?

12. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

You held on to the phone long enough for it to burn you?:eek:

13. oakie macrumors 6502

oakie

it's amazing how people can be so self-centered. it's OOW and they charged you the OOW replacement price.

did u expect them to replace it for free? because the warranty clearly states that the product is covered for all manufacturer defects for a period of one year, not a year and a few months. you could have bought AppleCare to cover this, but you didnt.

sorry but in this case even a paraplegic has more legs to stand on.

as for your injuries, I'm sorry to hear that you chose to not move the device away from your excessively tender skin before causing a first degree burn.

14. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Edit: this is only if the phone is within warranty.

15. aneftp macrumors 68040

If u brought with credit card and still have receipt. Call credit call company and they will have you fill out paperwork and usually give u the priced $199 because the majority of credit card companies offer 1 plus year of warranty.

So if you are truly only a couple
    Months out of warranty you will get your money back from your credit card company through it's warranty service. Just another reason to never buy any electronics new with cash. Always use your credit card (assuming to pay your balance off every month and never pay interest)

16. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

You should ask if they'll let you upgrade to the iPhone 5 also. If you're lucky they may have a few in stock.

17. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Good luck with that.
    Your phone was out of warranty so obviously they dont have to repair or replace it for free.