Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
UK
I currently have a Drobo 5D.
At the moment it holds 3 WD Red 3TB drives. This leaves me with 2 free bays for expansion.

The Drobo is primarily used for video editing. All of my projects for FCPX reside on it, and I work straight off of it via ThunderBolt.

To be honest the more I use it the more I feel I could replace it with a faster drive more suited to my uses?

I would prefer to stick with RAID5 so I have a single disk redundancy just in case.

For my uses, would I be better off with a Pegasus or a Lacie?

matreya

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
For my uses, would I be better off with a Pegasus or a Lacie?

Bear in mind that the Lacie 2/5big units only give you an option to use OS X software RAID, so you only have a choice of RAID 0, 1 or 10 (which is a bit fiddly to set up & would leave you with a spare drive out of the 5 in the 5big (since RAID 10 would need an even number of drives (4 minimum) )..

I would think the Pegasus would do a better job....

Alternatively, you could look at something like this also:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Areca/ARC5026

Last edited:

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
UK
Bear in mind that the Lacie 2/5big units only give you an option to use OS X software RAID, so you only have a choice of RAID 0, 1 or 10 (which is a bit fiddly to set up & would leave you with a spare drive out of the 5 in the 5big (since RAID 10 would need an even number of drives (4 minimum) )..

I would think the Pegasus would do a better job....

Alternatively, you could look at something like this also:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Areca/ARC5026

Looking at the ThunderBolt 2 Lacie 5Big drive, which now do hardware RAID.
The speeds seem to blow the Drobo 5D out of the water!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.