Replace external drive with Time Capsule?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by reifiedbeans, Jun 15, 2008.

1. reifiedbeans macrumors newbie

Hello,

I already have a 320 gb external hard drive, connected via FW 400 to my MBP, which has a 320 gb internal drive (upgraded myself). My wife has an iMac with a 1 TB external drive on FW 800.

We need to get a new router, our d-link is disconnecting us constantly. With my university discount, I can get the AEBS for $159 or the 500 gb Time Capsule for $279.

I can't decide if the extra $120 is worth it, considering that I already have a perfectly adequate Time Machine drive for my MBP. I don't mind connecting the firewire whenever I sit down at my desk (along with the power cable and audio out cable). What I find annoying is having to unmount the drive in Finder every time I leave.

For those of you who have switched, is the convenience worth it? Does the Time Capsule perform just as well as the AEBS? It seems the reviews are less glowing about range, etc.

Thanks a bunch!

2. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

I would only buy the TimeCapsule if:
    -500GB is enough for both you/wife to use time machine on.
    -If you want a centralized data storage point

Otherwise, if you have everything you need, in a system that works for you, why bother with the extra? The Airport will do the same job, without the drive.

Oh and, the Airport can connect usb drives to it, basically creating a TC.

I have no need for a TC, but the Airport will be my next router. Id like to use it as a print server, and maybe have a HD hooked to it.

save your $.

3. reifiedbeans thread starter macrumors newbie

I see your point. $120 is $120, and I don't really care about a centralized data server.

Just to clarify, though, the 500 gb Time Capsule would replace my 320 gb FW 400 drive that I plug in every time I put my MBP down on my desk. I would simply use the TC 500gb for my Time Machine backups, and then I would probably take the 320 external drive and archive to it, putting it in my safe deposit box for safekeeping.

So, my wife won't use the TC, since she has a 1 TB external drive on FW 800.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Please don't use a Time Capsule for backups; I hate to say it, but it's probably faster to write the stuff down bit-by-bit than TC. :rolleyes:

I have 300GB of back ups; said it would take 6 weeks or something; no thanks.