Replace external drive with Time Capsule?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by reifiedbeans, Jun 15, 2008.

1. reifiedbeans macrumors newbie

Hello,

I posted this in the MBP forum, but maybe this is a better place.

I already have a 320 gb external hard drive, connected via FW 400 to my MBP, which has a 320 gb internal drive (upgraded myself). My wife has an iMac with a 1 TB external drive on FW 800.

We need to get a new router, our d-link is disconnecting us constantly. With my university discount, I can get the AEBS for $159 or the 500 gb Time Capsule for $279.

I can't decide if the extra $120 is worth it, considering that I already have a perfectly adequate Time Machine drive for my MBP. I don't mind connecting the firewire whenever I sit down at my desk (along with the power cable and audio out cable). What I find annoying is having to unmount the drive in Finder every time I leave. My wife will keep her external drive, so the TC would be just for me. I would then use the 320 external drive for archives and keep it in my safe deposit box.

For those of you who have switched, is the convenience worth it? Does the Time Capsule perform just as well as the AEBS? It seems the reviews are less glowing about range, etc. Also, someone in the MBP said the TC was very slow, "it would be faster to write things down." I can't say that I really care about the speed, since it's in the background, but does it affect network performance? And do I have to manually unmount the drive if it's time to go and a slow backup is in progress?

Thanks a bunch!

2. SVT Amateur macrumors 6502

Backups don't take that long (except the first one) but you really wouldn't want to have to dismount during the middle of a backup. I'd say except for the first backup most backups take about a minute or two to complete.

The network performance is ok, but with your current setup I would recommend just getting the AirPort Extreme.

3. reifiedbeans thread starter macrumors newbie

If the backups take only a minute or two, then that's fine.

When you say the network performance is OK, is it worse than the Airport Extreme?

4. SVT Amateur macrumors 6502

I don't think so because it is basically an Extreme with a built-in hard drive. I just meant average when compared to other 802.11n devices.