Replace full housing 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hndn, Jul 11, 2010.

1. hndn macrumors regular

Hi,
    There are quite a few youtube explaining how to replace the full housing? Anyone recommend to do it yourself or have it done by a pro?
    Thanks.

2. teezee09 macrumors member

I've done it; took about 30 minutes. Could easily take over an hour if you don't know your way around a screwdriver and it involves removing everything (including the logic board and some pretty small pieces with even smaller screws) so if you're unsure of yourself I think it's worth it to pay someone else to do it. One note: it's a lot easier with a genuine Apple backplate - I took mine from a waterlogged iPhone. My two attempts with china parts from eBay were unsuccessful. The first sample did not match up perfectly with the actual apple one and since most of insides are attached or sitting on the backplate it caused a problem. The second sample started chipping and cracking almost immediately.

3. hndn thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks TZ, for the note. I'll compare the price between the pro & buy off ebay.

4. Djlild7hina macrumors 6502a

yeah i did that with my 3g... i regret it now because i should've got a new 3g instead or just replacing the housing and i got the cheap ones on ebay too... oh well swapped it out with a genuine apple white and it should be back tomorrow *crosses fingers*

5. KameronBriggs macrumors 6502

KameronBriggs

+1.