Replace GM with final release

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by iFoggy, Sep 19, 2014.

1. iFoggy macrumors member

Yes I know GM was the same version as the final release but I was just having too many issues on GM (been on iOS8 since B2) for it to feel like a final release.

When I installed GM did it clean and re-setup so no carry over.

Backed up GM, DL final, DFU install and restore and it seems a lot more stable and fluid.

Worth doing for anyone having a similar experience.

2. jkozlow3, Sep 19, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2014

jkozlow3 macrumors 6502a

The GM and the final release are the same. The build number is identical - 12A365. They are bit-for-bit identical (same MD5 checksum).

There is no benefit to what you are suggesting unless there is another variable in the mix (i.e. if you didn't do a clean install initially but now wish to do so, etc). Perhaps the difference was a DFU restore vs. a non-DFU restore (I've had better experiences with DFU restores over the years). Or perhaps you had some buggy 3rd party apps that hadn't been optimized for iOS 8 yet and now those apps have been updated.

Either way, the GM and public release builds are identical.

3. bkends35 macrumors 6502a

bkends35

Not gonna lie, I had the exact same experience. GM wasn't good. Public seems fine. I'm guessing that's because most of the apps have been updated and are not crashing constantly and wasting battery.

4. jeff1980 macrumors newbie

They are definitely the same - however even Apple states to developers to delete content and settings on the iPhone when switching directly from beta 5 to gm/final. So maybe there's something going on in the background if you don't do it. If you restore via DFU you even go a step further than "just" deleting your phone - but it's nothing to do with a difference between gm and final.