Replace hard drive MBP 2011

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by yui4, Aug 26, 2011.

1. yui4 macrumors 6502

Hello,

I'm new to macs & have just received the base model 2011 15" mbp as a present.

This may reveal my noobness but I have been told to replace the hard drive with a SSD in order to increase the speed. Is it just a like for like swap with the hard drive & what SSD is recommended for my model?

Thank you

2. crypticlineage macrumors regular

There is no need to replace any hard drives in your machine. Enjoy your new gifts and stop worrying about upgrading your machine already.

When you have been using it for a few months and then you realize that you suddenly need SSD, you can go for it then. But as of now, based on what you wrote, I don't see any real need for SSD at all.

3. yui4 thread starter macrumors 6502

4. SangYuP, Aug 27, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2011

SangYuP macrumors newbie

I'm a new mac user as well and I just got my 15 mbp less than a week ago. I opted for the seagate xt hybrid drive instead of ssd. I can't recommend any ssds but I do want to share my experience with you for swapping out your hdd if you decide to change it out. My mbp came with lion preinstalled so the first thing I did was download the recovery tool that apple released to create a usb recovery partition. Here are some tips that I learned the hard way. Now maybe this is basic to experienced mac users, but being a noob to macs (not PCs) I wanted to share as I've noticed a lot of new mac users recently that were interested in swapping their hods.

***this is only for mbp that shipped with lion - it could work for ones that shipped with SL but I'm not sure and cannot confirm. ***

1. Download lion recovery tool
    2. Make sure to erase the usb thumb drive in disk utility and format it for mac os extended (journaled) and set it to GUID. Since I was a PC user, my thumb drive was set for MBR and the recovery utility did not automatically set it to GUID.
    3. After replacing the drive, plug in the usb drive and hold down OPTION key as soon as you power on.
    4. You will see the usb recovery icon show up on the screen and choose that to enter recovery.
    5. This is very important, go to disk utility and erase the new hdd with mac os extended (journaled) and choose GUID.
    6. After that, go back and choose reinstall lion option and after a few prompts it should start downloading automatically.

I've read a lot of different tutorials online and most of them are for users who downloaded from the app store so I don't know if it's the same process but I just wanted to share my experience and hopefully prevent new users from going through the same issues I did.

5. Danno21 macrumors regular

Danno21

Thanks so much SangYup!

I just purchased a new OWC SSD and it's supposed to be arriving today and I just read your information and I didn't realize about having my thumb drive and boot drive being formatted with GUID.

You saved me a lot of time and trouble!

6. SangYuP macrumors newbie

Hey, congrats on the new ssd. I hope everything goes smoothly for you!