Replace hardware in to new body

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Crown16, Dec 24, 2013.

1. Crown16 macrumors regular

Dear All,

I own a MBP mid 2010 with 8gb ram, 128SSD (both put them in myself) Still works perfect, just thinking I would love to replace all the hardware which I have on/in it into a new shell. The hinges are squeeky, there is is minor dent in the top left corner of the screenframe. It just doenst look beautiful anymore. Just wondering if this would be an expensive surgery parts wise?

I have tried a lot to get the hinges to stop squeeking but I think is has just been displaced and there is nothing I can do about it.

Thanks for any input

2. scbond macrumors 6502

3. koa macrumors 6502

The cheapest option would have been to buy the computer with an AmEx card and AppleCare. In the fourth year with an estimate from Apple AmEx probably would have covered the cost which would have been pretty expensive which would have made a nice down payment on a new computer plus what you could have sold yours for.

4. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

Actually, AmEx doubles the FACTORY warranty, would not apply to giving you another year beyond the AC coverage. The FAQ specifies the "original manufacturer's warranty". While AC is provided by the manufacturer it is NOT considered the "original manufacturer's warranty". Discover (and many others now) does the same thing, and was a factor in my decision to NOT pay the $250 (or whatever AC costs) to get only one more year of warranty.

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/content/card-benefits/extended-warranty/faq.html

It also appears that the repair needs to be completed and paid for on the same AmEx card, though the language seems to be vague on that part.

5. koa macrumors 6502

FYI there are a few recent discussions about this if you search AppleCare. Warranty for year 1 is product warranty, year 2 and 3 is covered by AppleCare, year 4 is covered by AmEx. Check with AmEx. I have used AmEx warranty in 4th year on a Powerbook G4 with AppleCare so have first hand experience with it. It's easy and they don't require you to fix the item. It your choice to fix, fix yourself or buy something else with the repair money, or just keep the money. AppleCare with the education discount which Apple does not verify is currently $183 on a MacBook Pro.