Replace HDD in MBP2012 with SDD and use HDD instead of optical drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rept, Oct 4, 2012.

1. rept macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I know it's possible to replace the HDD with the 2012 MBP (not retina) with an SSD and I plan to do so (Crucial M4 512GB).

However is it possible to put the standard drive (500GB HDD) in place of the optical drive?

Thanks in advance

2. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

3. 262Runnr macrumors regular

262Runnr

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Unless you're getting an awesome deal on the Crucial, I'd spend the extra and buy a Samsung 830. I went with the M4 because my mid 2009 doesn't support SATA III, so the slow write speeds wouldn't really matter. If I had a newer model I'd certainly want to take advantage of the faster speeds.

5. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

I agree with what he said.

6. rept thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright, just ordered the macbook (my first ever). Have to wait 2 weeks since I upgraded the screen to non glare and higher resolution.

Thanks for all the tips guys!

7. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Personal preference, really. No doubting the Sammy is the newer drive with faster write speeds. But unless the OP is doing some pretty heavy lifting with large blocks of data, he or she may not be able to tell a difference between the two. Last I heard, the big sammy is also a bit of a power hog, unless a recent firmware update fixed that niggle.

Can't go wrong with either one, but choosing to save roughly $150 with the Crucial is not necessarily a poor decision.

8. Handsome Bacon macrumors regular

Handsome Bacon

No, it's impossible. You're gonna fry your machine. :rolleyes:

Search function. Use it.

Oh and should I get a retina MBP or a classic? Can I put 16GB of RAM in my classic?

9. rept thread starter macrumors newbie

The price difference is 210 euro, so it's a big difference! What about the OCZ Agility 4 512 GB? That one is only 45 euro more expansive than the Crucial.

10. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

I recommend;

Samsung 830
    OCZ Vertex 4
    Crucial M4
    Intel 520

The Agility is a good SSD, but not as fast as the listed above, with the exception of the M4, which is insanely slow at WRITE speeds, which is sad. See my thread for more SSD comparisons. http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1442840

11. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

That is a big price difference. I think there is about a $100 difference between the two here. That being said, pretty much any recent SSD is going to be a huge improvement over the stock HDD.

If the Crucial M4 is a good price, go for it. I'm not familiar with the Agility 4, so I can't really comment on that.