Replace hdd with ssd - questions I still can't find answer to

Discussion in 'iMac' started by tobyspace, Mar 13, 2013.

1. tobyspace macrumors newbie

Hello,

I'm going to buy the new iMac 27''. I'd like to buy it with just 1TB hdd and then replace it with an SSD. Here is the SSD I chose: http://goo.gl/I4VF4

I read many threads around here and on other sites and honestly I found different answers to the question "can I upgrade my iMac with an SSD?".

Actually, I know it theoretically possible, but I still can't figure out all the issues I could find doing the upgrade.

I asked a trusted AASP near my hometown and they told me they don't know if it's possible to do it with a third-party SSD. Anyway, they're available to do it for me if I want.

So I'm kindly asking you if you could give me an answer to the doubts I still have on the subject:

- There will be any warranty issue after the upgrade?

- There will be any "FAN issue" after the upgrade? (I know it was not possible to replace the hdd in the mid-2011 iMacs with a third-party one because there was a sensor which made the fan go crazy with a non-original hdd installed)

- Is the SSD I linked earlier in this post compatible and correct for the replacement in an iMac?

- If it's safer to use an original Apple SSD, where can I buy it (256GB or 512GB)? Which brand and model is an "original Apple SSD"? What about the performance?

Thank you very much for your attention :)

2. Lancer macrumors 68020

Lancer

I think the main issue might be the warranty as I'm sure you can't open up the new iMac without voiding it, unless you're a qualified Apple tech.

The next problem is for around the same cost you can get Fusion with over 4 times the capacity, and speed wise you probably won't see much of a difference most of the time.

I have the 1Tb Fusion and the biggest delay for me is the external and network HDDs which spin down after a short time of no use. But again one up there is no noticeable delay and with USB3 there are fast.

My suggestion is maybe get the iMac then in a year replace the HDD, (unless you get AppleCare) upside is in 12 months they'll likely be cheaper and bigger.

3. tobyspace thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually I'm going to ask my AASP to do all the work. I'll bring them the iMac and the SSD and they will do the replacement. I'm absolutely not going to open the iMac myself and most of all close it with the glue when finished :D :D

Fusion does not have 4 times the capacity: I only got 128GB of SSD inside Fusion Drive. I need more space. And most of all, I can't decide which files have to go on the SSD and which ones doesn't have to.

4. kennyap macrumors regular

Good decision to have an AASP do the upgrade. Sorry I can't answer your questions directly, maybe someone else will post the answers.

Warranty Issue: I would ask the AASP.

SSD compatibility: I don't see why this SSD wouldn't work, but if I questioned this I would not install it unless I found a thread on this forum in which someone verified no issues are present.

Fan Issue: I have no problem with the Samsung 840 Pro.

Apple SSD: I would recommend going with a faster drive. Samsung SSD's are known for reliability. Go with a Samsung 830 or Samsung 840 Pro

5. tobyspace thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually you solved my biggest doubt: the fan issue :cool: ;) :) Thank you, you had no problem with your ssd, so I gather there'll be no problems with my upgrade as well ;)
    About the compatibility, I asked a question at iFixIt and they told me there is no problem with OCZ SSD.
    Warranty issue: I asked the AASP and they told me it's not a problem if they replace the hdd. If it's an AASP doing the upgrade, warranty is not going to void.
    Actually I'm absolutely not going to open the very-fragile-very-hard-to-remove glass cover with a hot air gun, and then most of all stick it back with some sort of glue..... no way :D AASPs exist exactly for these kind of reasons ehehe ;)

Actually I was thinking about buying a Samsung 840Pro 512GB or the one I linked in my post (OCZ Vector 256GB). From what I saw on internet, OCZ is the best in benchmarks among 256GB SSDs, Samsung is the best among 512GB ones. But Samsung is TOO expensive for me... :(
    I will think about a Samsung 840/30 Pro 256GB, maybe it'll be safer considering that you had no problems with a Samsung.

Thank you VERY much again mate! :)

6. flavr macrumors 6502

flavr

Fusion is your EASY and most intelligent answer

- First from a cost standpoint. with the SSD you are paying more than the fusion, then you have to pay even more to install.

- next is capacity, the SSD gives you only 256GB, the fusion gives you 1.1TB of usable space. (ill explain later, and see link to explain further)

- next is warranty, you will loose all warranty coverage if you add the SSD

- next is how the fusion works...you don't need to allocate anything, it figures it out for you. In fact your iMac will use the fusion exclusively until you fill up the 128BG and it will offload to the 7200RPM drive files that you hardly ever use. Unless you are using 128GB of files constantly on a daily basis (which from what i can tell, you getting only a 256GB SSD you don't) then the SSD is not the smartest decision over the fusion.

read a bit more here how the fusion really works. its awesome and fast as an SSD and essentially gives you SSD speeds with lots of storage for a great price!

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/1...ining-doc-ars-tears-open-apples-fusion-drive/

Oh and with USB 3 and thunderbolt you add even more SSD external storage down the line with speed at same as internal speeds!

SSD BAD choice...fusion GOOD/SMART

7. Lancer macrumors 68020

Lancer

Good choice.

No but Fusion (HDD&SSD) is just over 1.1Tb compared to 256Gb for the similar priced SSD.

Fusion is designed to do the work and for most people it makes sense but I do agree for some they might need a bigger SSD so their work projects stay on the SSD. But really if you're used to using 7200 HDD then Fusion is going to be faster for most people at a lower cost.

Also until someone comes out with a 256 or 512 Gb blade SSD then we are stuck with 128Gb plus the HDD. That said in theory you could put a SSD replacing the HDD and use Fusion to merger the 2 SSDs into one.

8. kennyap macrumors regular

If you decide on Samsung SSD get the "840 Pro" or the "830" (MLC nand) -- not the "840" as these have lower-rated TLC nand chips.

9. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

Any reason you don't want to use an external SSD with Tbolt? Leave the 1 tb in the computer for back ups.

You might also want to check out the higher end OWC SSD drives as they offer great speed, and some offer 5 year warranties. OWC if I recall also offers the service to do installs on some models of iMacs and assumes the Apple warranty. The Samsung 840 pro would be a neat alternative.

I suppose in your shoes I would go for an external option as it is the path of least resistance, beats out the speed of the internal mechanical drive and avoids possible consternation when things don't go right. Just remember that unlike mechanical drives (though they are hit and miss affairs) SSDs do have finite lifes for speed. After a certain amount of writes (and reads) they will slow down and ultimately fail. I am a fan of SSD but then again I have had plenty of time putting them in both Mac and PCs.