Replace iMac 27": What should I buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Lucagfc, May 4, 2010.

1. Lucagfc macrumors 6502

Hi

In November i placed my order for 27" i7 iMac to replace my 24" iMac C2D to have Quad-Core CPU, really better performance, a bigger, LED backlit and better screen!

Now, unfortunately, I do not know what to do: I just sent back my fifth iMac with yellow tint, I asked for a full refund.

So now I'm searching for a solution to replace my iMac with other Apple computer to have similar performance and Screen.

Mac Pro is the only machine with comparable iMac i7 performanche but the problem is the screen! There a good 27" with 2560 x 1440 resolution with IPS technology?

I considered the case to keep my MacBook and install a SSD drive for better performance. What do you think i can do?

If i hold my actual MacBook Pro I can only spend 2300 $....if i sell the MacBook Pro i Can spend 3000$ What' s the best solution?

P.S. I use computer for software dev (obj C), using VmWare or Parallels, using Aperture (with RAW file, terrible experience with my actual MacBook Pro).

Thanks !!

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Dell has a 27" with same panel as iMac (no yellowing). I would wait for Mac Pro update and then either get the current gen quad from refurb store or new one if your budget allows

3. Lucagfc thread starter macrumors 6502

The model linked is only a 1920 x 1200 resolution monitor....it's 27" but resolution in really really lower!

4. Lucagfc thread starter macrumors 6502

Navigating the Dell site i've found the U2711 model that really have 2560 x 1440 resoluton. but the price is really really high....here in Italy it cost 1250 €.....Can anyone talk me about the Apple Led Cinema display 24"? the quality of this display is high? thanks

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Oh sorry, thought that it was the 2560x1440 :eek:

What I've heard, it's a great display. No issues like in iMacs and much greater resolution than in 24" displays

6. cryer macrumors regular

Damn, you're making me nervous, just bought a iMac i7 27" from the refurb store! What should i do!

7. Fesdon macrumors newbie

...gee

:eek:
    I guess I am lucky. Got my 27 iMac and have never had a problem... Sorry to hear you had the problem (s)...

8. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Sell your current MacBook Pro and buy a new i7 15" model. Then find yourself a nice screen to go with it.

9. vistadude macrumors 65816

Get a pc. You'll get far better performance than using parallels or VMware. Better yet, get one with a Nvidia motherboard and AMD chip.

Also get Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop CS5. Apple is evil. Adobe is open :D

10. Lucagfc thread starter macrumors 6502

We are sure that the refurb store iMac are perfect?!? I don't think so!

11. cryer macrumors regular

Sorry, not sure what you mean?

12. spice weasel macrumors 65816

I'm not doubting the OP and his yellow tint screen problems, but the issue has been resolved for the vast majority of users. I had a screen problem and waited to have the screen replaced until after I had good information that Apple had a better supply of LCD panels. No more problem. From what I've seen on these and other forums, that is the case for just about everyone.

So, for the poster who just bought a refurb or for anyone else contemplating getting the 27" iMac, don't worry about the yellow or flickering screen problem. That issue has been resolved.

13. Lucagfc thread starter macrumors 6502

For me the problem is not solved! I recived 5 iMAc from Dicember to April and all of them has the Yellow Problem! The last one i send back in the last one I returned the problem was even more visible!

14. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

I can't say this with 100% certainty but it seems most of the yellow iMac issues are with the hotter i5 and i7 CPU's so heat might be the root cause - but I am not 100% certain. Anyway, believing this going in I ordered a 3.06 C2D refurb iMac and have no yellowing issues at all. I am a photographer so a properly calibrated monitor is critical. Since I do not play games or edit videos a quad core is not that critical for my work and I have zero performance complaints with the 3.06 C2D.

If you need a quad core then that is what you need. Anyone that waded through 5 replacements has far more patience than myself. I would have given up after the 3rd.

15. cryer macrumors regular

What country are you from? I ask because non-US countries sometimes don't get the freshest supply, so the iMacs you got might all be from the same bad supply.

16. cryer macrumors regular

Man I hope so, I really don't want a lemon or have to deal with taking this thing back and forth from the Apple Store, what a huge pain that would be!

17. Lucagfc thread starter macrumors 6502

18. drchiu macrumors newbie

I thought all the "bad" 27 inch imacs were already gone if you ordered now. Perhaps Applecare is sending you refurbished ones back when they had the problem?

19. covrc macrumors member

Mac Pro 2.66

I had to return five i7 iMac due to Yellow Tint and failed airport cards. I had the hope that a re-fresh might address the screen and such. Well, I waited and waited until I could wait no more. I pulled the trigger on a 2009 Mac Pro 2.6 Refurb. $2049 is a sweet deal for this machine. I wanted to wait for the update, but in my heart of hearts, I know I cannot afford the extra $500 the new one will cost me. Plus I now need to find a reasonably priced monitor.
    But for the time being, I am very content in my choice. I will change my profile info after I take delivery. maybe I will get an upgrade surprise...it's possible.:rolleyes:

Best, covrc