Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Inara

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2011
Hi guys,

i have read a lot of threads in this and in other forums, but I do not understand yet which drive is better and if I can replace it without incurring in some problems

I read about WD scorpio black 500GB, which appears to have always the built in free fall sensor (both the BEKT and the BPKT, according to WD datasheets) and it drains considerably more power, give problems to sleep, ecc ecc.

The momentus xt appears to have problem with the firmware, moreover is a bit pricey.

So? Should I stick with 500 gb 7200 stock and wait for a SSD next year?

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
What's wrong with keeping your current drive? Is it dead? If not, it's kind of pointless to buy a new, larger capacity drive if you are concerned about money only to buy a more expensive, lower capacity SSD next year. What have you actually gained?

Inara

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2011
Because I want to buy a 2.5 hdd to put it in a portable case anyway (to use it for time machine , for example), so I plan to use the stock HDD in a portable case and a performance HDD in the HDD bay of my mac. I spend practically the same amount of money but I gain in performance.

I would like to know from you, more experienced mac users, which one I should choose.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.