Tablets Replace iPad with Surface Pro 3?

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by shanshor, Nov 9, 2014.

1. shanshor macrumors regular

Hey guys,

Pretty much, I'm thinking of replacing my iPad and Surface Pro 1 with a new Surface Pro 3.

Essentially, here's how i use each device:

iPad 4:
    Travel companion (games/movies on plane and at hotels)
    Remote for iTunes on PC
    General web browsing device
    MusicNotes/UltimateGuitar for music and tablature

Surface Pro 1
    Use in lab to connect my USB microscope (does not work with Macintosh)
    Use in class (sometimes) to take notes / annotate PDFs. Would probably use more often with SP3.

It would cost me about $500 to make the upgrade. Do you think it would be worth it for me? Thanks guys

2. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

I'm pretty biased, but I'd say HELL yes. Unless you are running an iOS specific game that is exclusive to iOS, or for a rare app that you can't find in windows form.

Games: superior IMO, but that's because I load desktop games onto it. YMMV and this is only personal preference. Woo GTAV on my tablet!!!

ITunes remote: not sure how it works as a remote, but hey you can always just install iTunes onto the surface taking away a level of complexity.

Web browsing: No comparison, you see the web in it's full glory the way it was intended.

Music: this I'm not sure of, I'm sure others will chime in.

3. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

4. shanshor thread starter macrumors regular

Wow cool! Ok, how does it work in a travel setting? Do you have any experience like that?

5. Misskitty macrumors 6502

look at my sig. i did it two weeks ago, and its the best decision ive made this year.

6. slu macrumors 68000

slu

Hell, I'm considering replacing a Mac mini and a Nexus 7 with a Surface Pro 3. I'd say do it.

7. shanshor thread starter macrumors regular

How does it hold up? Do you recommend the typecover?

8. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

It's incredible in a travel setting, if anything that's it's strong point.

----------

Type cover is a must, a true innovation that changes the game IMO.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The odds are pretty good for me, that I'll be looking to get a SP3 to replace my laptop. Maybe by then, the SP4 may be out.

I think the SP3 is an excellent product to replace your iPad and upgrade over your SP1. From what I've seen and read, the SP3 is a huge upgrade over the SP1 and you'll see the difference in performance and the larger display.

10. jamezr macrumors G4

jamezr

What is your battery life like?

I know at least 3 guys at my work that are/have bought SP3's. They love them so far. Their experiences say it is a total laptop replacement.....tablet with a true desktop OS......

11. mi7chy macrumors 68040

mi7chy

Surface Pro 3 is about the same weight and thickness as my iPad2 but with a bigger sharper display and immensely more powerful and versatile not only for consumption but also for productivity and creativity. Even for consumption full Chrome browser with Adblock Plus is a much better experience free of annoying pop up ads. If you fly a lot it's much lighter and easier going through airport screening with one device vs multiple. I typically go through a business day on battery so it's a non-issue.

12. gotluck macrumors 603

gotluck

Surface Pro 3 is looking pretty darn good to me.

The only negative to me is price (if you are comparing against tablets, which isn't really fair yes).

I can't really justify purchasing a new tablet or laptop at the moment, but I can all but promise it will be a Surface Pro #

13. ggibson913 macrumors 6502a

ggibson913

I would ask if the Surface Pro 1 that you currently have does what you need. If it does, why replace it? Would you miss all your iPad apps that you have? I am sure the iPad has great note taking apps as well as a way to annotate PDF's. Would a cheap windows laptop do the same thing for you?

14. Misskitty macrumors 6502

Absolutely love it, dont miss the ipad air or MacBook Pro at all. It was a big risk but it was well worth it for me cause the SP3 just suits my lifestyle and the way I compute at home much better.

The type cover is a must, IMO the SP3 wouldnt be half as useful or fun without the type cover. Its amazingly comfortable to type on as well.

15. samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

Any rumors about timeframe for SP4 with Windows 10?

16. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

I don't use mine often enough to really gauge battery life. The couple of times I've used it until it died I probably got a solid 8-10 hours out of it, but that may vary depending on what you are doing.

It is a total laptop replacement with the advantage of being a great tablet.

17. BigBeast macrumors 6502a

I recently made the switch, though I had tried the SP2 and SP3 previously. I'm really enjoying it. It's a much better device than my iPad Air and MBP combo, because a lot of my electronic usage revolves around handwriting my med school notes. I'm very hopeful that Apple will make an upcoming tablet/hybrid that incorporates true stylus support with palm rejection, but honestly, I got tired of waiting. It's taking some getting used to, but there are many more pros than cons.

18. JackieInCo macrumors 601

I just did this today. I think it was the best decision because I can install any application including full versions of Office and even have my iTunes too. The Surface Pro also has a SD card that can handle up to 128GB.

I also got a black keyboard for mine. I like how the keyboard is backlit.

I bought mine at BestBuy right now due to the extended return dates due to the holidays. I also got them to price match to what MicroCenter was selling so I got $100 off mine.

iPads and Android tablets are too limiting.

19. 1000 macrumors member

I gave up my iPad 3 for a SP3 a few months back. Let me say this without reservation, the SP3 is the finest device I have ever owned. It is wonderful as a tablet (has the most pleasing to the eye display I've seen), it's also great as a laptop (perhaps better on a table than a lap, but still serviceable) and having a full desktop OS in it's form factor is just so darned freeing. I work in legal technology for a large law firm so at any time I can whip it out and access IE, Citrix, Office and the like whereas with an iPad I was constantly fighting to do things on the move.

Best decision I ever made, and I've been a staunch Apple guy for 10 years.

20. nixiemaiden macrumors 6502a

I think the battery life is pretty good. The only time I have had it at 100% and used it constantly until the battery was at 0% I got around 7 hours. However, I was watching training videos that were flash based and I had my screen brightness turned up so I am sure I can get more.

Also, I am not 100% sure on this but I heard that with a firmware update, the power typecover will work. I am hoping they release a power typecover exclusive to the SP3.

21. jamezr macrumors G4

jamezr

Thanks for the info!

22. DeathTheKid macrumors member

DeathTheKid

It is a: tablet, ultrabook, and Wacom digitizer all in one. What is not to love.

23. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Definitely a big YES from me. The Pro 3 is a laptop. The iPad is not.

If it was between a Macbook Air and a Pro 3 it's just preference.

24. mgipe macrumors demi-god

mgipe

I've had my SP3 for about two weeks now and am very happy with the purchase. It's a nice piece of hardware. I bought it for the pen features, which unfortunately, the iPad has been missing since day one. I still use my iPad extensively, but the Surface has taken on more of the important work.

My only complaint is Windows 8. I'm looking for a good tool to get rid of the metro junk.

25. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

I'm keen to pull the trigger on one next year. Well once they make it with the new windows. I can't stand windows 8 :( but it looks like it has improved a lot since the first SP.