Replace iPhone 4 flash drive

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jardins de Vin, Dec 30, 2014.

1. Jardins de Vin macrumors 6502a

Jardins de Vin

I've noticed how my iPhone 4 has started to become slow over the years. This is most likely also due to iOS 7 etc., but since it's a flash drive, I believe if I would install a new one, it would become considerably faster.

Can you buy and upgrade these yourself? I've tried to search for iPhone 4 flash drives but there's only random stuff coming up.

All I know is that you need special screws to open the iPhone. And it's out of warranty anyway.

----------

Nevermind, found articles saying you can't. Had to search for hard drive, not flash drive. Even though it's a flash drive.

Too bad! :(

2. Powermax macrumors regular

Forget about that. The iPhone is a highly integrated system, it is not possible to install a new "flash drive".

All you can do is a restore of iOS 7, and don't restore a backup.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lol :D
    Install a new flash drive in an iphone?
    The particular device is over 4 years old and with newer software updates the outdated hardware cannot keep with iOS and app store apps demands.
    Time to maybe upgrade and get a newer iphone that can run faster and has better hardware and software features.

4. Jardins de Vin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jardins de Vin

What for if I may ask? First, I don't like big phones and all new iPhones are way too big, unless you are a hulk with XXXXL pockets and nourishing yourself from McDonald's every day of course.
    Second, I don't like iOS 7 or 8 really…
    And finally, I use my phone rarely for other things than calling people since I have an iPad, so those features and all you're talking about are useless for me.

If at all I'd either get another iPhone 4, or a 4S. But the prices here have increased quite a lot since the release of the iPhone 6. I don't know a single person who wants this phone for oversized people, but no one wants to leave apple either. I am in the same situation I guess, so the solution would rather be to look at older iPhones.

5. Applejuiced, Dec 30, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2014

Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Hey its up to you and your choice whatever you decide to go with. Getting another 4 or 4S wont make much difference unless you get them and keep them on older ios versions like ios 6. A 4S will feel slow on ios 8 also. Its funny you say you dont know anyone that wants an iphone 6? I know of over 70+ million people that want and own one so far:D
    There's always the android option also. But since you said you only use it to make calls why even bother with a smartphone? Just get a regular flip phone and call it a day. Your pockets probably could afford something like that instead of a phone for oversized people with an oversized price tag that you might not be able to accommodate.
    Good luck.

6. aristobrat macrumors G5

In phones, it's just a chip. I'm surprised it'd be referred to as a "drive", but who knows. :)

[​IMG]

It's the largest chip on the circuit board above. It's soldered on.

iPhone 4 Teardown

7. Jardins de Vin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jardins de Vin

Thanks for the picture! Too bad it's soldered!

Android isn't an option for me, because I do like how stuff syncs. My contacts are synced, my iMessages are synced, my reminders and notes are synced and here and there I do use the mail or safari app.

And yes if I'd keep a (new) iPhone 4(S), I'd get one with pre iOS 7. A lot of stores are still selling them over here, and they are new.
    I know that many have bought the 6, but I think we live in different places and I can definitely say that the iPhone 6 did not have a success where I am.
    Neither did Yosemite. Different people, different cultures, different tastes. But Apple needs to start to accommodate to different markets.

Even the old iPod's price has gone Sky high (everywhere in the world) since they stopped the production.

I've always used apple and could not imagine switching to windows, android, whatever. And neither will people for as long as I did… But instead, these people will simply stay on older products. Apple won't lose its clients to other brands, but to itself.

But this is something we can only talk about in 10 years anyway…

PS: don't worry, the price tag of the iPhone 6 doesn't scare me, I just prefer to blow my money on other stuff than phones, I'm not a 12 year old teenage girl after all…!

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I know, because 12 year old teenage girls that nourishing themselves from McDonald's every day and have XXXXL size pants get the new iphone.
    Not anyone in Austria.
    Too bad cause I thought Austrian people were nice and not full of stereotypical negative and derogatory misconceptions like you are.

9. Jardins de Vin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jardins de Vin

You may be laughing but actually yes, the people that change phones every week are 12 year old teenage girls who eat at McDonald's! I swear! There is even a campaign by T-Mobile that started, that shows exactly this… The several different spots are almost all about teenage girls who want to change their phone quickly because their enemy has the same. It's an offer by T-Mobile called "Yuhu" that allows people under a certain age to change their ultra new expensive smart phones (like iPhones) very often. I just had a look at the website and it shows a bunch of young girls, but they're not fat so I'm taking back the McDonald's comment. But then again, fat people are not so common here so it was probably hard to find suiting models…