Replace iPhone, or wait until June?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by maxxscholten, Mar 9, 2008.

1. maxxscholten macrumors regular

So I just had my iPhone replaced by Apple about two weeks ago because a button on the side stopped functioning.

Then, last night, while charging my iPhone (I'm currently on Spring Break visiting some friends at Mizzou) my iPhone was plugged into a usb-power charger (not connected to my mac) and was placed on a table next to the pull-out sofa I was sleeping on.

One of my friends had come down to get something to eat in the middle of the night and tripped on the cord which cause it to fall on a very small patch of tile flooring and of course shatter the screen. The iPhone still works, just very ugly to look at and a real downer considering it's only 2 weeks old.

So here comes the big question:

First off, I'm taking it to an apple store to see if they can do anything about it for free considering it's only two weeks old and maybe someone will take pity on me (VERY doubtful).

But, do I spend the $250 + tax (prob. $265) getting the screen replaced by Apple. Get a third party business to replace the screen for probably less, consequently voiding my warranty. Or do I wait until June to see if there in fact WILL be a new iPhone and save my 200-something dollars and put it towards a new one?

2. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

You should probably just not leave gadgets lying around on the floor :rolleyes:

3. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

4. AustinD macrumors regular

On the contrary, they wont fall as far if they're on the floor. I leave my phone on the ground or as close to the ground whilst charging away from home at all times.

IMO, if you can stand the disfigured screen till June then go ahead and wait. But, of course, theres no certainty that an update will come out in June or even, an update before then.

5. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

If Apple will replace/repair it for under $300, I say have them do that. You'll get a sparkly new refurbished that will work and function great.

If it is going to be more than $300, might as well buy a new one and sell the old one for parts on ebay or something.

I say an iphone is worth replacing.

6. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

Some of you people are the biggest condescending idiots. He said his phone was charging on a night stand, not "lying around on the floor." Secondly, at no point did he suggest doing anything that might constitute insurance fraud. You people just saw the words "spring break," thought "young person," and that assumption led you to grant him no respect.

This same crap happened when some high school kid got his iPhone stolen and moronic users here decided to berate him for "flashing his iPhone in public," rather than offer sympathy or suggestions. Some people just think you should leave your cellular phone in an airtight, fireproof padded box at all times, and if you don't, and something unfortunate happens, you must be a moron. Get over yourselves.