Replace iPhone or wait

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dgrotz, Jun 15, 2008.

1. dgrotz macrumors newbie

My iPhone was stolen the other day and now I have the tough decision of replacing my iPhone now for $250 or wait til July 11th. I do have an old Motorola sliver but I hate it. Any insight on benefits either way would be great.

Thanks for any and all replies,
    Dave

2. Rigsby macrumors regular

Given that there seems some confidence that there will still be a good market for unlocked first gen iPhones even after 11 July it might be worth a risk, but the question you have to ask yourself is whether you like the iPhone enough to, effectively, pay $60 a week rent for one. That's effectively what you'd be doing if you couldn't sell your replacement iPhone.

3. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

If I were you I'd pay $250 for the refurbished iPhone. Then when you get your 3G iPhone you can sell off the refurb (which I imagine will do pretty well on eBay). It would probably cover the cost of the new iPhone if you leave it all sealed up. Just stick it out with the slivr until the 11th!

4. grndslm macrumors member

ditto! leave the refurbed iPhone in box and sell on eBay immediately!!

5. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Buy the refurb, you don't have to get it activated, then sell it on eBay, should get you $450 or better. Then you can buy your new 3G iPhone on July 11th, '08. :p

6. ALittleDrive macrumors regular

Did I miss something? Who said anything about a refurb? He said he wants to buy one for $250, nothing about refurb, not that it matters either way. You should definitely buy one for $250, that's what I did, as I sold my old one for $400 the week before the announcement, made $150. There are plenty of people selling iphones for $200-$300 on craigslist. You could theoretically make a ton of cash just buying iphones off of craigslist, then unlocking them if they aren't already unlocked, and selling them on ebay for ungodly amounts. The business of flipping iphones is particularly profitable right now!!!!!!:eek:

7. ALittleDrive macrumors regular

Wait, did AT&T or apply offer you a $250 refurb to replace your stolen iphone or are you just able to buy one for $250 third party? If the former is the case, wtf? They are offering refurbs for stolen iphones now?/?:confused:

8. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Only a refurb for $250, unless you can get a better deal somewhere else. :confused:

9. grndslm macrumors member

Just assuming that he had insurance, and that's what insurance does when they send you a new phone... give you a refurb. There's nothing wrong with refurbs, esp. ones completely free from scratches & totally wrapped up -- that's the stuff that goes for $450+ on eBay.

If he didn't have insurance, then he'll just have to think about his profit/loss sheet. DUH!

10. ALittleDrive macrumors regular

Yeah, I actually just bought an iphone for $250, not a refurb...what is this insurance of which was just spoke? Iphone insurance? Is that homeowner's insurance, some sort of Apple or AT&T insurance? I really want to know, I'm not being a dick...I had an iphone stolen as well, nothing for me...i have been unaware of any insurance, aside from homeowners, renters insurance...i would have definitely been insured had i known.

11. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I think some iPhone owners have coverage via their Visa, and there are others that have homeowners insurance as well; though we are still unclear with the OP's situation. That's a great deal $250 for an iPhone, and not a refurb. Congrats.

12. Justinerator macrumors 6502

Justinerator

I would buy it and sell it back off again. THEN, get the new 3g iphone when it comes out.

13. dgrotz thread starter macrumors newbie

I had Apple care on the phone and Apple said they will replace it for $250, mine was a 4gb model so I assume that is what I'll get. They said nothing about a refurb.

14. MacLovin78 macrumors regular

From what I understand if you buy someone's iPhone 1st Gen and try and activate it after the 3G comes out you will not be able to. ATT is offering to allow people to trade up to the 3G version if you bought an iPhone 1st Gen after 5/27/08 - you will pay a 10% restock fee to get the 3G but you will get a credit of $200 back to cover the difference in pricing between the old and the new. You have to go in with your receipt and all the original packaging and do an exchange.

I just left a job and had a company blackberry that I had ported my personal number too. They let me port my number back out and I needed to get a personal phone. I wanted the iPhone but couldn't wait for the new version. I heard about this deal and went into ATT and they confirmed - I bought the 1st Gen iPhone and will walk in on 7/11 and get upgraded and get $150 back ($200-$50 restocking fee)

15. grndslm macrumors member

I have a plan with State Farm, called a Personal Articles Policy (PAP), in which they insure both my laptop & cell phone (only phones over $400 or some crap like that). You pay a yearly fee (anywhere from $40~100/yr depending on your agent, what you're insuring, & how clumsy you are), and no deductible. So... say you break the screen on your iPhone and it's been more than a year (Apple said they'd cover broken screens for a year or so, right??), you just tell them what happened, and they write you a check for what its worth. You can buy another one, buy something similar for the same price, or buy something else more expensive. It's a *good* plan.

16. dgrotz thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the replies but as it turns out the first agent I talked to was wrong, all I can do is wait till July 11th. Home owners ins. might cover it.

17. grndslm macrumors member

If you "cash in" on your home owners ins., then your premiums will prolly go up higher than you'd think justifiable. But I dunno for sure.

18. born4sky macrumors 6502a

born4sky

Tell me where I can get it for $250, or sell me yours for $300

19. Love Juice macrumors regular

i have a personal article policy through state farm. call around (or email) a bunch of different agents close to you. one flat out told me know because it was so a small amount of money they didn't want to bother w/ it unless i had another policy w/ them (home owner's, renters, car, etc). another one told me to just bring a copy of my homeowner's policy showing any kind of contents coverage. the one i went with, just wanted me to fax them a receipt and pay $53.00. it covers damage (not failure), theft and loss. it varies depending on the part of country you live in, so just call around.

20. grndslm macrumors member

Cool thing is that due to the way their pricing plan works, you can add your laptop on there for no extra money. So, you pay $53/yr for both your laptop AND phone -- with no deductible.

It can't be beat, and I can't imagine them offering this plan for much more than a year or so.