Replace iphone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by trigg51, Jan 7, 2010.

1. trigg51 macrumors newbie

Hi all, ive had my 2g iphone for about 8 months now, it was brought over the USA (at&t) and have been using it on the O2 uk network.
    Ive managed to break the screen and was wondering if i take it into the apple store if they will replace it with a refurb 3g for the £148 repair fee?

Thanks

2. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

No. If it were still under it's warranty you would be given a replacement of the same model. Apple will never upgrade you.

3. trigg51 thread starter macrumors newbie

I just didnt think they would still give out 2g versions of the iphone

4. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Sure they do. They don't sell them anymore but they always retain a stock of refurbished units of all of their products. I'm not sure of the exact timeframe but I think it's around 5 years beyond the original launch.

5. trigg51 thread starter macrumors newbie

Is it really worth it getting fixed as phone still works perfect apart from crack in extreme top left of screen

6. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

That's really up to you. If you can enjoy the phone's aesthetics while ignoring the crack then I see no reason to worry about it.

I would suggest getting some sort of screen protector to cover the crack as a slight bump could cause the glass to shift and you could end up with a cut on your face/ear.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

There's some sites online that will replace the screen for around $60-80 with shipping. I think Apple charges $199 for out of warranty repairs like that.

8. trigg51 thread starter macrumors newbie

Will the store still fix the phone even thou its a US phone and im located in the UK?

9. ste1164 macrumors 6502a

ste1164

If it still has warranty that won't work because you bought it in America. I am pretty sure they will repair it but it will cost you.

10. trigg51 thread starter macrumors newbie

There is no warranty on it, it was manufactured week 38 of 2007