iPad mini Replace iPod classic and touch with retina mini? Anyone done this?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by gdourado, Feb 16, 2014.

1. gdourado macrumors 6502

gdourado

Hello, how are you?
    I am currently debating something...
    I cannot seem to stop lusting after new gadgets...
    For my music consumption I currently have an iPod classic 7th gen modded with a 128gb CF card and a 64gb iPod touch 4th gen.
    I only use the touch for music. No wifi, no apps. For that I use the iPhone.
    I usually use the touch at work connected to a Fostex HP-P1 and the classic while out and about connected to a Fiio e11.

I have been considering swapping both for a retina iPad mini 128gb wifi.
    I would use the most of its storage for music. My library is 90% Alac files, so storage is a big deal.
    The iPad mini is compatible with the Fostex so I could use it at work.

The thing is I already have an iPad air 32gb for couch surfing, email, games, apps...
    So I don't know if a mini would be reeundant...
    Also, I know the mini is smaller than the air, but considerably bigger than a 4 gen touch, so I don't know how it would work portability wise...

So, anyway...
    I was wondering if anyone did a similar trade and use a retina mini mainly as a music player.
    What's your input on this?

The other option I have been thinking is selling both iPods and the Fostex and get a hifi DAP like an iBasso DX100...

I just don't know... :)

Cheers!

2. Frankied22 macrumors 68000

Frankied22

Do you need portability with your music? An iPod is a lot more portable than an iPad.

3. Mechayoshi macrumors regular

Mechayoshi

My rmini has mostly replaced my iPod touch but only because I used the iPod for music and apps/browsing/etc. if your only using it for music there's no reason to have a bigger device, especially if you have an Air.

4. 617aircav Suspended

Go ahead. Doesn't make sense but if you want the mini go ahead.

5. Skika macrumors 68030

How do you plan to listen to music on the go? Nothing beats an iPhone/iPod touch in your pocket, no matter how hard the iPad mini shills try to convince you its just not a pocketable music player.

6. Miguel760 macrumors member

I did this and it's awesome for car rides and things like that but for real portability it's kinda a hassle.

7. Cyloncat macrumors regular

Cyloncat

I did this also, and it's mostly worked out OK. The rMini lives in my purse, so portability isn't an issue.

The 128GB mini isn't enough space for all my music, so I do have to prune my collection somewhat.

The biggest downside is that I really dislike the iOS music app, especially for classical and for albums.