Replace just the Keyboard or Whole unibody on Macbook Pro 2011 13"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kingston1987, Jan 25, 2016.

1. kingston1987, Jan 25, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2016

kingston1987 macrumors member

Hi everyone,

So recently I bought off a 13" macbook pro Early 2011 off of someone from my university for $75, which I'm still not sure if it's a good deal considering that the keyboard is not fully functional. Every key on the keyboard works, with the exception of 7,u,j,m, ; and ' key, with backlight being spotty. Which after doing some research seems like it's in a diagonal pattern and people say the only resolution is to replace the unibody/keyboard. I've heard both and I don't know what I should do. Do I really have to spent $200 on the whole upper case and replace it? Or could I get off with just buying $30 keyboard (I don't know if its just keyboard layout or the whole keyboard (http://www.amazon.com/Original-Genu...549&sr=8-1&keywords=2011+keyboard+macbook+pro) Or do I have to take it to Apple and pay $300-400?? Or should I just give up and buy an external keyboard? (Don't want to resort to this but I'm iffy that buying the $30 internal keyboard might not work or i might not be able to fix it myself but don't want to pay labor for someone else to do it)

I have no experiences with macbook pro/laptop repairs, the most knowledgable I am with computers is that I used to build PCs for fun. And I've heard craziness with MacBooks having 50+ screws.

2. robertparker macrumors newbie

Just replace the keyboard yourself.

Look up ifixit guide.