Replace Keyboard/Top Case

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by GSMiller, Nov 25, 2008.

1. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

Long story short, my not-so-bright friend spilled cough medicine on her white Late 2007 model MacBook. We have determined after an extensive dissection of the MacBook that all electronic components are functioning except for those attached to the top case (keyboard & mouse).

Now, my question is what "version" keyboard does her MacBook have? I've searched eBay and there's all this talk about "version 2 grade a" and "version 2 grade b" and "version 3" so WHICH one does her have, or is there even a difference?

Thank you :)

2. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

Note the position of media keys (function keys) are different between the two versions. Get the one that match yours.

3. GSMiller thread starter macrumors 68000

GSMiller

That's what I thought, but version 2 & 3 looked the same. I went ahead and bought a version 2 because her MacBook was the first to use the redesigned keyboard.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Also you should make sure you get the right color ;)

5. sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

that should be fine... not that it applies 100% but I replaced a friends Core Duo Keyboard/Trackpad assembly with a Core2Duo assembly and there was no issue. There's only one connector and I doubt it's different as long as they have all the same features.

Nah... mixing colors is fun!

6. GSMiller thread starter macrumors 68000

GSMiller

She actually said she didn't care if I replaced it with one from a black one, as long as it worked :p

Her poor MacBook is just a little over a year old and has had a rough life but still runs like a champ. This was her first Mac and she's already decided to buy another one when she graduates college.

Okay, I didn't think there'd be much of a problem. It did have me a bit worried though because the video tutorial I found on how to take it off had one of the older models and a couple of the screws were different in it than on hers, but I mean why would Apple go to the trouble of changing the connector, it's not like the newer ones had any added capabilities or anything.

My MacBook is the older model and I considered removing the top case from mine and trying it out on hers but I really didn't want to have to remove all those screws and put them back twice.

7. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

Another thing to look for is the connector that plugs your keyboard to the computer. Take a look at yours and match it to the one on posted on ebay.

8. logana macrumors 65816

logana

If it is a MacBook 3,1 (Santa Rosa) late 2007 then you will need a version 3 keyboard/topcase.

Version 2 is for late 2006/early and mid 2007 models.

If the f4 key has a speedo-like thing on it you have version 3.