Replace "left" GPU with a second "Right" GPU for two SSDs is nMP?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by JesterJJZ, Dec 31, 2013.

1. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

Someone should try this.

Get two MacPros, remove the GPU without the SSD on it and replace it with the other GPU from the other MacPro with the SSD on it.

I wonder if it would even register being there?

2. Anim macrumors 6502a

Anim

I wondered that too :D

3. JesterJJZ thread starter macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

It's kinda silly that a second SSD isn't an option to begin with.

What would be great would be if there was that second SSD slot and someone made an adapter to put a 2.5" drive in there.

4. Spinland macrumors 6502

Spinland

I am so far removed from being a hardware expert that it's a wonder I'm allowed to choose my own fork, but I was under the impression there was an issue about the data channels involved, and that the non-SSD board would probably not have the requisite data feeds linked to it.

5. ytoyoda macrumors member

It's impossible. Two GPU boards are not identical. Two silver holes on the top located in opposite side, like mirror image.
    Please see photos.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1690722

6. goMac macrumors 603

I'm wondering if there are only enough PCI-E lanes for one. 40 lanes total, each SSD is 4 lanes, must be tight...

7. AidenShaw macrumors P6

AidenShaw

8. flat five macrumors 601

flat five

9. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

No. Haswell-EP has 40 lanes. I think you'll just see it as a second generation addition in typical Apple fashion.

10. Larry-K macrumors 68000

Come on! You mean you're not enthusiastic about attaching your scratch disk via a Thunderbolt cable? I know you have an extra $50 you're just dying to give to Apple.

Me, I like 1 GPU, 2 CPUs and at least 2 CDrives, but I'm old fashioned that way.

11. Analog Kid macrumors 68040

Analog Kid

Tell you what: you provide the hardware and I'll provide the labor. ;)

12. Cubemmal macrumors 6502a

What's the point? There's plenty of TB 2.0 bandwidth for mere disks. I've got a promise Pegasus 2 on order, and will get a OWC Helios 2 with SSD when it's ready.

13. JesterJJZ thread starter macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

The point is some people prefer stuff inside the machine rather than cables and powerbricks everywhere.

14. Cubemmal macrumors 6502a

Then why are those people even considering a new Mac Pro? For me, I've got a 33' Corning TB cable going from my desk to an equipment cabinet where all the drives are. Along with two ethernet cables - that's three total - I've got all the I/O bandwidth I need and don't have to look at a single power brick and cable mess.

Conventional boxes are big, noisy affairs, and my Old Mac Pro is hardly the clean layout system. I could never get it organized, it had eSATA coming off, a USB 3.0 card, this that and the other thing. Now for I/O I condensed that down to ONE cable.

15. JesterJJZ thread starter macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

We're not.

What's to stop is from taking about how to improve the design to make it more attractive to us?

16. Cubemmal macrumors 6502a

Nothing, nor is there anything preventing me from pointing out the (IMO) uselessness of the wish. Like it or hate it, Apple has been working on eliminating internal expansion for at least six years, and with the release of nMP they've completed it across the line. Seems to me to be counter productive to wish it were different, instead of focusing on what new possibilities open up with external expansion, such as remote (noisy) disks as I mentioned.

17. Lumpydog macrumors 6502

It's not uncommon for Apple to purposefully withhold obvious features (like two PCIe slots) so the next product release has a longer new feature list...

Example - finger print reader being absent in the latest iPads... Easy addition, left for next release feature list. The next nMP will have 2 PCIe slots for two SSD cards.

18. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Your logic failure here is comparing a basic consumer device (iPad) to a workstation....

While that is true Apple does tend to with hold features to get you to upgrade, do you really see a second internal SSD really a "selling point" to have people upgrade next year? I do not. Also, we are not talking about Phones or Tablets here that are < $1000 and people consider upgrading from year to year. These are $3k+ devices. One small upgrade such as that is not going to get people to dump their current machine and upgrade.

If Apple does add a second SSD next year, it is not because they "with held it to get it people to upgrade", it is only because they figured out a good way to do it even with the "limited" amount of PCIE lanes available.

19. JesterJJZ thread starter macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

Wishing is never useless. Has Disney taught you nothing? ;)

20. Cubemmal macrumors 6502a

lol ..

21. Lumpydog macrumors 6502

I'm not comparing devices at all. Rather, pointing out a common Apple marketing tactic. Wait and see I guess.

If Apple wanted to add two PCIe/SSD cards, they could have. Every product has a roadmap. While no single feature on the list of generation-to-generation upgrades is generally compelling in and of itself, it is usually the sum of the new features that drives people to buy. Apple is measured/disciplined in their approach to providing 3-4 new/improved features with each generation and are known to withhold features that easily could have been included in the prior gen.

I didn't say people were going to dump their current machines for an extra SSD slot/capability btw. Nor did I claim Apple withheld the feature to get people to upgrade. Your words, not mine.

22. prowlmedia macrumors 68000

Er... Or just 2tb cards

23. Celedral macrumors 6502

Celedral

I really thought they would have an option to have two. 2000+MB/s in RAID. Not that you'll need that type of speed.

24. calaverasgrande macrumors 65816

calaverasgrande

It would be kind of silly to waste a 2.5" drive on such a fast interface.
    The point of using PCIe instead of SATA is that it is faster than SATA's max throughput. It also disintermediates the need for a SATA to PCIe host controller, which decreases latency by a smidge and increases speed.

I would love to see a 2nd SSD. No matter how fast the first SSD is I just like to have all my Apps and OS on one volume, and my various data sets, project and whatnot on another. Old habits die hard.

25. JesterJJZ thread starter macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

It's not always about speed. You could probably cram a 2TB 2.5" drive in there. 2TB SSD would be really expensive for simple storage.