Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kjmff5

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 27, 2011
I have a mid 2012 MBA with 8gb ram. I spilled some water on it and likely fried the logic board. Apple said they can send it to their shop and take a look at it but likely will be 800 bucks to fix it. I looked around and found logic boards for about 300-400 used.
I know people in the electronics field that will install it for me, but is it really worth it? My other option is to wait for the (hopefully) 2014 mac mini(I rarely use my laptop as a laptop, 99% of the time it's in clamshell).

What to do....thanks in advance.

-choices

kjmff5

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 27, 2011
Quick update. I took it to a local shop. They opened it up and said they just had to take it all apart and clean each part individually. I take that to mean that none of the circuitry was damage. They did not have to replace any parts. Initially they said water does not make it to the logic board, it just damages the top case first(keyboard and backlighting), and likely the top case would have to be replace, but they did not see that that was the need.
All in all, it cost $90 to fix, and i got it back the next day.
-lucky me

mvmanolov

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2013
Quick update. I took it to a local shop. They opened it up and said they just had to take it all apart and clean each part individually. I take that to mean that none of the circuitry was damage. They did not have to replace any parts. Initially they said water does not make it to the logic board, it just damages the top case first(keyboard and backlighting), and likely the top case would have to be replace, but they did not see that that was the need.
All in all, it cost $90 to fix, and i got it back the next day.
-lucky me

Lucky you indeed!
now enjoy your clean mac and be more careful with it :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.