Replace Mac Mini with iPad?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by AlmostJosh, Jan 28, 2010.

1. AlmostJosh macrumors 6502

AlmostJosh

I bought a mac mini in june. I have it at my moms house, and all i use it for is playing the sims and surfing the web. My question is... would I be disappointed if i sold my mini and replaced with it an iPad? I figure I could also buy one of the external keyboards for it so i can type easily. And I would also be able to take it to my fathers house. I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You would be disappointed. iPad runs iPhone OS and it's possibilities are very limited so no multitasking (you can't run 2 apps at the same time) etc. It's not a computer, just a big iPod. Save up for a MacBook, it's a lot better

3. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I agree. A refurbished MacBook would be far superior.

4. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

You would be limited to what is released from the app store, so I wouldn't. Macbook as mentioned before would be a better choice, unless you are happy with the app store version.

5. SXR macrumors 6502a

SXR

I agree with whats being said here, i dont really see a reason to buy the tablet, and especially no reason to replace a mac mini with it. Thats just my 2 cents.

6. i7QuadCoreMania macrumors 6502

forget the iTampon, what a letdown, my "missing link" between the iphone and macbook is my Mini 10v Hackintosh.:D

7. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

Keep the mini....in a couple years when the V3 iPad comes out it might be worth the swap. As it is in its current state to me it seems like a big iPod touch (with 3G) - not worth the bucks in my opinion.

8. Aegelward macrumors 6502a

Not to mention you can sling the Mini under a HDTV and use it as a HTPC when you no longer have any need of it as your main desktop.

9. SXR macrumors 6502a

SXR

I wish that the tablet had a miniturized version of Mac OS X , instead of iPhone OS... then it might have been worth the swap.

10. Thrilledge macrumors regular

I'd rather have a Mini than a Macbook. Keep the mini

11. 300D macrumors 65816

300D

Extremely. Its just a large iPod Touch.

12. SXR macrumors 6502a

SXR

Why?

13. 300D macrumors 65816

300D

The iPad is not a computer, its a large iPod Touch. It can't work alone, it needs a host computer to sync with.

14. SXR macrumors 6502a

SXR

didnt even think about that. you need a computer to run the iPad.. well that doesnt make it a computer at all.