Replace Macbook Pro at refresh or wait?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LinMac, May 16, 2008.

  1. LinMac macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Oct 28, 2007
    #1
    I'm sure this has been asked over and over, but now it is my turn. :)

    I have become somewhat of an Apple junkie over the last year having bought nearly every Apple product that I could find a use for. The refresh is (supposedly) coming soon in June for the Macbook Pro line so I am curious what the community thinks of this.

    I purchased a Macbook Pro 2.4GHz model roughly a year ago. It is still within the first AppleCare year warranty and will be for a bit longer. It has been upgraded to 4GB of ram with memory from Datamemorysystems.com with the lifetime warranty and is in perfect condition with no scratches or damage. I purchased Leopard and iLife '08 for it while it came with Tiger and iLife '06. The system has served me well and it is still very very fast with a very high Geekbench score.

    I am trying to find out how much this notebook is currently worth if I sold it and if it would be worth selling it to replace it with a newer model using the new chipset set to replace Santa Rosa.

    Any opinions?
     
  2. MacBookProJoe macrumors regular

    MacBookProJoe

    Joined:
    May 7, 2008
    Location:
    Seattle, Warshington
  3. LinMac thread starter macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Oct 28, 2007
    #3
    A hardware refresh or a hardware update.

    Santa Rosa with Merom to Santa Rosa with Penryn would have been the last refresh. This time it should be Santa Rosa with Penryn to Montevina with Penryn.

    I am just curious if the speed increase from the new chipset and possibly DDR3 memory would be worth the upgrade cost. I can make use of the SSE4 instruction set for running operating systems other than OS X on the system, but it will still depend on the benefits so I am asking the community. :)
     
  4. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2008
    #4
    Don't mean to burst your bubble mate... but don't you realise that in fact, for all the other threads asking this, 70-80% of the thread answerers have said, "Buy now if you need it, wait if you don't NEED it yet." Yours, will probably get the same answer I'm afraid. Personally, if you're a one-upgrade-a-year guy, I'd say wait for Nehalem, which would be a future-proof one, or get Penryn+SR now and Nehalem later. Montevina's not gonna last that long with Nehalem just around the year's bend. I think.
     
  5. johngardiner macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 13, 2008
    #5
    My roomate has pretty much your exact laptop, my advice would be to wait. The Penryn update didn't do much in terms of performance other than in gaming, and the Montevina probably won't see a huge boost. I'd wait until after the supposed possible refresh at WWDC to see if you like the new design or not then decide. If you like the design a tonnn more than go for it, it sounds like you can probably get anywhere from 1200-1400 for your laptop if its in as good of shape as you say so you won't be paying a ton for the update, just have to make sure it's worth it and you like the new design. hope that helps!
     
  6. squeeks macrumors 68040

    squeeks

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2007
    Location:
    Florida
    #6
    i have the same notebook as you, im waiting for nehalem becuase it will be the bigger update, and my current machine isnt much slower than penryn or montevina
     
  7. LinMac thread starter macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Oct 28, 2007
    #7
    I try to keep up with the processor and chipset updates, but won't Nehalem be released in 2009?
     
  8. Neil321 macrumors 68040

    Neil321

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2007
    Location:
    Britain, Avatar Created By Bartelby
    #8
    Probably,but Nehalem the one to wait for
     
  9. LinMac thread starter macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Oct 28, 2007
    #9
    That seems to be true for performance, but what about heat/battery life?

    The Santa Rosa models like the one I have here can get warm and can be somewhat noisy (I have very high standards) when it comes to the fans kicking in when using something like VisualHub for video encoding if it takes awhile to convert the video for our new blog posts.

    If the Macbook Pro isn't worth replacing (I consider this model to be worth roughly $1600 with the software and 4GB of ram if sold) by adding $1000 to the sale price of this machine when purchasing a new machine then what about the Macbook Air?

    I want a new machine, but I don't actually want to waste money. :)
     
  10. alphaod macrumors Core

    alphaod

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2008
    Location:
    NYC
    #10
    Replace it when you feel like getting computer, not when Apple refreshes one.

    If you're going to ask, just wait another year.
     
  11. Neil321 macrumors 68040

    Neil321

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2007
    Location:
    Britain, Avatar Created By Bartelby
    #11
    Obviously the further the rev's go along the better things will progress with heat/battery life etc,personally if i was in your position with a SR & you can get by with it id still wait it out till Nehalem as the bump from SR to penryn was disappointing but then again Im not to sure what the bump to montevina's gonna be like. But if the urge is to great & you still feel the need for a better machine then just wait it for another month when hopefully the next updates come along.As for the Air why go with lower specs?
     
  12. LinMac thread starter macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Oct 28, 2007
    #12
    The decision is hard to make because the current Macbook Pro I have becomes worth less and less as each new revision or refresh is released. I am currently coming up on the end of my 1 year of AppleCare for the machine which will cost $200 - $300 to extend for another two years.

    If the machine I have now is worth $1600 (I hope) with the software (someone might pay more to be able to run Tiger or Leopard I suppose) and 4GB of ram then I am looking at roughly $1000 to buy a new machine. I can purchase the higher end 15" Macbook Pro for roughly $700 - 800 more which I can also write off my taxes.

    The 512MB of dedicated/discreet video memory, larger hard drive, and so on might be a worthwhile upgrade over the current generation for what I do. I do want to wait until the refresh as I disagree with the "waiting game" when the WWDC and Intel chipset launch are less than 30 days away. It is still a difficult decision as the hardware has been very solid and I could always put more money with the amount for a second hand Macbook Air (it is thin and shiny... and I'm an Apple addict).

    I suppose the true test will be the benchmarks when the new Macbook Pros are released. I just wish I knew for certain that the new machines would be launched around the WWDC. Anyone have any theories about that?
     
  13. skd macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2006
    Location:
    carmel, ca
    #13
    your laptop is worth what someone is willing to pay.......
    IMO, you rarely get what you think the computer is worth -
    and without applecare the value goes way down -
    right now you would probably get $1200.
     

Share This Page