Replace Macbook Pro top case

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Aviboy97, Sep 29, 2011.

1. Aviboy97 macrumors regular

My dog stepped on my 13" Macbook Pro (Early 2011) and put a lot of dents and deep scratches on the casing where the Apple logo is displayed. The part number is "604-0788-C". Does anyone know where I can get this part new? All I seem to find are used parts, but I prefer new. Thanks in advance...

2. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

Do you still have AppleCare?

3. Aviboy97 thread starter macrumors regular

I never purchased AppleCare, considering I had until my 1 yr warranty ran out. They don't cover accidental damage, though

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It's usually referred to as the display assembly, and since they're glued together very tightly you have to buy an entire replacement screen (you can't buy just the metal part). Check iFixit.com to see if they have it.

5. accessoriesguy macrumors 6502a

out of curiosity, where did you leave your macbook? somebody else had to be wondering where it had been placed.

6. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

On the floor, I would think. Any dog heavy enough to be leaving that kind of damage to a laptop is not likely to be walking around anywhere but the floor.

Also, this is a MacBook Pro question posted in the MacBook (not Pro) section.

7. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

Laurel, MD (Baltimore, MD / Washington, DC area)
    If it's still within a year you could still buy Applecare on it. If you have it sent in for an unrelated issue (don't take it to a store), usually they replace stuff like this for free. Just throw in a note.

8. alexpja macrumors member

Out of curiosity, why was it on the floor? o_O...

Also, send it in and say the hot heat melted it (somehow and made it look like that) :x... This method won't work.