Replace Macbook white with uni Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by VladM, Mar 4, 2009.

1. VladM macrumors regular

At the moment I have the white Macbook, 2.1GHz, 4GB memory and 320GB HDD. I can procure a very slightly used uni Macbook (2months old) for about 20% less than it costs new. It is the 2.4 model.

Would this be a beneficial upgrade?

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Not really, personally I'd wait on it. I have a unibody MB and it's the greatest thing since sliced laptop. But at the same time on a performance level it's not that much faster than your model. The biggest improvement is the 9400M graphics card but that's only really useful if you're using it for graphical intensive apps or games.

3. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

If you like the features on the aluminum MacBook better than the white MacBook, then you should consider it. From a performance stand point, I don't consider it too big of an improvement.* There are some additional costs involved that I'd like to remind you of:

1) In order to have 4GB of RAM you will need to purchase a DDR3 kit.

2) If you want AppleCare and the unit does not have it, that will cost you.

3) Any features that you currently use now with your white MacBook may have an added expense when you switch. (i.e. Firewire peripherals and video out adapters).

* I have a first generation (May '06) MacBook and I don't even consider the aluminum MacBook a large performance leap.

4. VladM thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, everyone is pretty much spot on. I don't ever use any graphics apps, or edit photos, so the 9400M would be wasted on me.

It's just that I like the design of the unibody so much, that's making me want to switch...BTW - can the DDR2 RAM not work in the unibody, even though it would be slower?

5. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...what's the original owner getting to replace the macbook he's selling you?

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

DDR2 and DDR3 are not physically the same; they can't be interchanged.

7. VladM thread starter macrumors regular

Bah, I really don't know what to do...

I love the screen. I love the superdrive (which my MB doesn't have) - even though I have never burned a DVD on my laptop :D I love the touchpad, even though I always use the mouse :D Most of all I love the aluminium chassis...

Is it a good deal? I can justify it to myself that way maybe...

8. superspud macrumors regular

i love my white macbook! the only thing i like from the new unibodies are the back lit keyboards.... i've got a 2.16 core 2 duo, 4 gigs or ram and a 120gb hd and really cant think of a single reason i would upgrade (besides the keyboard).. i plan to get either a 320 or 500gb hd soon and i'll be sound as a pound :)

9. Klockwork macrumors newbie

wait so if i were to order the new white macbook online at apple.com with 4gb of memory, I have to purchase the DDR3 kit? Or will it be ok since it's through apple...

(sorry I'm new here, I've been lurking on the forums for a while and will be purchasing my first mac soon)

10. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

you'll love the unibody macbooks. I went with the 2.4ghz unibody MB at first then i realized i wanted the extra 2" of screen so went for the 15" 2.4 unibody pro.
    Havent turned back yet. The multi touch experience is definitely something else

11. VladM thread starter macrumors regular

I need the small size, and have no use for the graphics of the pro, so I am definitely staying with the macbook. I just don't know if I should change now or not.

12. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

might as well go for the change right now. What is waiting going to do? its worth it

13. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

No! A white MacBook uses DDR2 RAM. Why the random statement and why have you made such an inquiry?

I apologize for my comment, I didn't read far enough to see that you're new to MR and to Macs. This discussion has to do with the possibility and implications of upgrading from a white MacBook to an aluminum MacBook and my previous post was pointing out the fact that if the upgrade was purchased and the owner still wanted 4GB of RAM, he would have to purchase new instead of reusing the RAM that he had. The white takes DDR2 and the aluminum uses DDR3. If you purchase RAM as an upgraded purchase from Apple, they will put in the correct item. Some feel it is more economical to purchase RAM from a third party and change it yourself.

14. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

It's not an investment. When it comes to computers, you always lose money not matter what.

If it makes you happy, just buy it. You can't put a price tag on pleasure.

The only thing I would really look into is the condition, which should set the price of this used laptop.

15. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

Oh you will definitely start using the touchpad. I also used a mouse before, but this touchpad is just SO awesome. It makes me a lot more productive with all the gestures (now I'm just waiting for a gesture to switch between Spaces and a gesture to switch between Safari tabs :p)
    And definitely go for it. 20% off is a great deal for it.

No, the white MacBook uses DDR2 RAM.
    Kinda off the point, but I just want to point out that you got kinda ripped off by buying RAM from Apple :p

16. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

I made the switch, but b/c I really wanted the nVidia graphics. Plus I sold my MB for a great price and bought my uni for a great price. Initial cost after sell/buy was $50 lol, then I upgraded my UniBody MB though.. but worth it!!

17. VladM thread starter macrumors regular

Made the switch. The machine is a bit faster, but damn the unibody form factor is just epic.