Replace MacBook with iMac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tderemigis, Aug 12, 2007.

1. tderemigis macrumors member

should i replace my 2ghz macbook with an iMac? i think that i would like having a more stationary setup, as i absolutley dread plugging in my external drive to get to my itunes library with my current setup, and i still have an ibook g4, and my new iphone for mobility.

Do you think if i sell the macbook, i could get enough to buy a c2d iMac, or dare i say be close to gettting a new imac? :)

2. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Have you considered on just getting an external display for your MacBook? I have considered an iMac, but I have chosen just to buy a 20" external LCD to use with my MBP, and use the MBP's built in display as extra screen space. This setup now works great for me. The MBP also rarely leaves the desk.

3. interlaced macrumors 6502a

interlaced

How much you can get depends on the specs of your current Macbook.

4. maclover007 macrumors member

get the 20 or 23 external display along wit a keyboard and mouse

5. mavherzog macrumors 6502

Do what will make you happy. If the iBook meets your mobile needs, you want a desktop, and you have the money, then it is a no-brainer.

6. tderemigis thread starter macrumors member

How much do you think i could get for the MacBook:

White
    2.0ghz Core Duo
    2GB RAM
    120GB hard drive
    Superdrive
    ?

7. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

I sold the same unit with 160GB and 2 ac adapters, mini-dvi to dvi and mini-dvi to vga for $899. You could get anywhere between $750-$900 depending on the condition and whether you are including any extras.

Cheers,

8. tderemigis thread starter macrumors member

9. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Exact same situation here. I've got the same machine (except 160 GB drive), with external 250 GB hard drive and keyboard and mouse and monitor, and I'd much rather have a MacBook.

I've almost totally filled the 160 GB internal drive, and I hate busting out the external. I'm also a performance hound and would much prefer the 7200 RPM hard drive of a desktop, and probably a 500 GB one to boot. Plus I would enjoy the Radeon HD 2400 XT instead of a GMA 950 by leaps and bounds.

10. tedmacoman macrumors newbie

I used them on my Macbook recently. I had actually purchased it on eBay only to find the seller (not to be mentioned in this forum) misrepresented the item, leaving out important items such as the remote and restore CD's. The item also had scratches on the screen which I determined I could not live with. The seller would not do refunds and so needless to say I was stuck with the item. I decided rather than reselling it on eBay I would just sell to Jay Brokers. I got about 80% of what I paid for the item on eBay originally $600, and got my check in about a week. It all seemed worth it since the amount was guaranteed and no hassles. The rep there by the name of Jenny is really friendly and I actually spoke with her on the phone. I've got a $25 bonus coupon for you if interested...just mention my name (Theodore Wascheun) and they should increase your quote by $25 with my referral (I get $25 too!). Cheers,

Ted

11. CarlsonCustoms macrumors 6502

I was in your exact same situation. I decided to just use my dell 20" widescreen monitor and be happy. I set the macbook up with 1 ext drive and ext keyboard, mouse, monitor, printer, usb hub, and stand for airflow. I actually don't use extended desktop mode, but I do leave the macbook open to keep it cooler up top. I'm very happy with this setup. I also ran a hardline cat6 cable instead of running wireless. I get better throughput this way too. For storage I setup a NAS box using freenas out of an old pc and that has ton's of storage in it. This setup has been working GREAT for me. The only thing is I might get the dell 24" monitor for even more real estate but other then that its great.

Zack