Replace MBP Early 2011 with MBP Late 2013

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by prahn, Nov 21, 2013.

1. prahn macrumors newbie

Hey,

since I am very keen on Apples Retina displays I am considering whether to replace my current MBP 15" (Early 2011, 2 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 8 GB RAM) with the recently announced MBP 15" Retina (2 GHz, Intel Iris Pro Graphics) or if it would be better to wait until Apple releases a follow-up model in 2014.

I tend to wait for 2014, however I am wondering if there will be a release in first third of 2014.

What do you think?

Thanks.

2. buysp, Nov 21, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2013

buysp macrumors 6502

Since you already have an SSD and you have the ability to upgrade RAM, I'd' wait it out another 12 months unless the lack of screen resolution is unbearable for you.

Late 2013 15' gains:
    *Retina Screen.
    *PCIE flash (higher read and writes).
    *USB3.
    *AC Wifi.
    *Smaller device footprint.

3. Black.Infinity macrumors 6502

Black.Infinity

4. Brian33 macrumors 6502a

Well, that's interesting. I have the Early 2011 15" model with the 2.3 GHz (CTO) processor and the AMD Radeon HD 6750M graphics, so I could be vulnerable to this.

However, I'm not going to get too worried (yet). Of course what we'd really like to know is how many have the problem out of how many sold (actually, how many being used). Wonder what the problem percentage would be. But there's no way to tell from forum posts. Even a few hundred out of all the ones made might come to a very small percentage...

So far the only graphics problem I've had is sometimes when the graphics is switching from discrete mode to integrated mode (like when closing a program that caused the discrete mode), the entire screen changes to uniform blue color. I've found if I close the lid to put it to sleep, when I re-open the lid everything's fine.

As for the OPer's question (sorry for the tangent) -- also note that if you upgrade you'll be losing your Firewire port (ethernet too, maybe?). Since I'm not that interested in the screen difference, and the other changes wouldn't benefit me (thanks, buysp), I wouldn't want to take the financial hit of making the switch. That's just me, though.