Replace MBP Keyboard With MB Keyboard?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dbam987, Jan 18, 2008.

1. dbam987 macrumors regular

I have an MBP and I'm wondering on if its possible to replace its keyboard with a MacBook's keyboard. I know it will void my warranty in a heartbeat, but the keyboard is getting a bit on my nerves. Everything else with it is spectacular though.

2. tyr2 macrumors 6502a

tyr2

I would think the nearest you're going to be able to get is to get one of the new aluminium keyboards, they're fairly Macbook like.

You can't just swap the laptop keyboards, they're totally different designs, the MacBook one is kinda moulded into the case for a start.

3. TheStu macrumors 65816

It might be possible (and I can test this tonight with my friend's macbook pro) to simply pop the keys off a MacBook and off a MacBook Pro, and sway them that way. Fairly tedious, and no assurance that it will work.... but it might.

4. TheStu macrumors 65816

Ok, the keys do fit. You will have weird spacing between the keys, much like the MacBook, but that is not the issue.

Here is the issue. They fit, but they are sideways. The scissor mechanism on the MacBook pro is vertical, whereas on the MacBook they are horizontal.

Now, it is possible that the MacBook Air keys, or the wired USB keyboard keys are vertical scissors, so they would work. And, the MBA's keys are backlit, so you would still have that too.

5. dbam987 thread starter macrumors regular

Sweet, how does the MB keys feel on the MBP? does it "fit" at least so they don't fall out? and when you close the lid, do the keys touch the screen?

6. notengolegs macrumors member

notengolegs

7. TheStu macrumors 65816

Looking at it, it seems like the MB keys do fit in the same space, but like I said they are sideways. They felt about the same as they do on my MacBook, but can't be positive since I only had 2 keys on there. Once I saw that they were sideways (on the letter and number keys) I stopped.