replace MBP logicboard: feasible?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by leshake, Dec 6, 2009.

1. leshake macrumors newbie

leshake

i've got a 2.2 MBP C2D, the santa rosa variety purchased late 2007. the logic board has since crapped out on me (that's another story). anyhow, i need to replace the logic board but i was wondering is there any possiblity of replacing it with another specification? say... a logic board before the unibody's or any major changes were done to the MBP, like maybe mid/late 2008 varieties.

it would be great to be able to get a boost in CPU power and a better GPU (i have the basic model so that's the 256mb geforce which isn't bad but could be better).

i know what i am doing DIY wise so i'm just wondering if i can order updated parts and if it would be compatible.

thanks.

2. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

i think that any logic board in the same case design with the exact same ports would work just fine... but there's only one way to find out!

3. rowsdower macrumors 6502

I would be worried about screw placement. I am not sure that they are exactly the same even if the ports are the same.

4. leshake thread starter macrumors newbie

leshake

hmm from what i've "read", the merom and penryn share the santa rosa chipset, and since that is essentially what i am replacing i figure it would have the same layout, even with screws.

the only thing i might be missing out on is the updated keyboard and multitouch but i don't really care much for those features (i was wondering if there are extra dongles and connectors because of those features)

EDIT: after looking at pictures on EBAY it seems that the layout of the board is slightly different on the penryn models. to play it safe it may be best to just swap to the 2.6 (T7800) CPU with 512 vram which should be 100% compatible, if i can find someone selling it.

unless someone tells me something different of course!