Replace mid 2012 iMac with SSD

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Razeus, Aug 27, 2015.

1. Razeus macrumors 603

I have no reason to upgrade my STILL, thanks to Intel non-innovative ways, but anyays... I want to take out the HDD in my iMac and put in an SSD. Is this possible to do on my iMac? Will the Apple Store do this for me?

2. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

No an Apple Store will not do it for you. OWC (www.macsales.com) has a instructional video to show how to install a SSD, I would recommend visiting their site and also buying the SSD from them.

3. mbosse macrumors regular

I would not recommend an OWC SSD for reasons which are well recorded in this and other fora. The instructional video however is good, but better step-by-step instructions are on ifixit.

BTW, do you have a mid-2011 or a late-2012 model? A mid-2012 does not exist...

An important difference is between the 21.5 and the 27" version of the mid-2012 iMac if you bought them with the standard hard drive ex factory: the smaller version does not come with an SSD socket while the 27" model does:

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iMac+Intel+21.5-Inch+EMC+2544+Teardown/11936

I would recommend installing an original Apple SSD. If you have the 27", you could use a blade, if you have the 21.5" version you would have to replace the HDD with a 2.5" SATA SSD, also here I would opt for an original Apple one. All of those frequently pop up on Ebay.

Best,
    Magnus

4. Razeus thread starter macrumors 603