Replace monitor on G4 Imac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by 61windsor, Nov 3, 2009.

1. 61windsor macrumors newbie

Very new to iMacs. I have a G4 with the smallest monitor. Can I switch out the monitor for a larger one ? (I have another G4 iMAc with a larger monitor that I can cannibalize) If so, can someone walk me through it?

If it is not possible, I am assuming that I could add a larger second monitor. There appears to be a monitor connection on the case, but it looks very small compared to what I have seen on older machines.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    A moneyless Mac user

2. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

It sounds like your iMac G4 has a 15" monitor. These are not interchangeable with bigger monitors because of the size of the base. The 20" iMac had a much bigger base than the 15" iMac to stop it from falling over.

You can plug an external monitor in though the Mini-VGA port, but the G4 iMacs only supported video mirroring, so there would be no real gain in attaching a monitor.

3. 61windsor thread starter macrumors newbie

Replace Monitor on G4 iMac?

Thanks for the quick reply. I was thinking of simply placing the computer on the floor and having a larger, second monitor on my desk? Do you think there are any practical problems with the plan other than using the built in CD/DVD drive?

Thanks

4. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

The 15" G4 iMac has a mini DVI port that is mirroring only. Adapters seem to be available.

They also apparently can output composite and S video with an adapter.

VRam is only 32 mb though.