Replace Mother Board or Buy New MBP?

festus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 1, 2013
8
0
The logic board on my 2006 17" MBP has been replaced twice in it's seven year history, and has now died for the third time. I could have it replaced with a used board (new ones are no longer available) for $550 including labor. My optical drive is also dead but could be replaced for another $150.

I prefer a 17" screen and the convenience and portability of a laptop that has an optical drive built in. I primarily work with PDF and Word docs but also use my laptop for Netflix, Pandora, etc. The closest thing Apple now offers is the 15" non-retina MBP, and after I "upgrade" to a non-glare screen we're talking around 2k. I'm also wondering if I should hold out another few weeks to see what comes of the June 10 WWDC event.

If you were in similar circumstances how would you proceed?
 

justperry

macrumors G4
Aug 10, 2007
10,164
5,311
Home is everywhere and nowhere.
The logic board on my 2006 17" MBP has been replaced twice in it's seven year history, and has now died for the third time. I could have it replaced with a used board (new ones are no longer available) for $550 including labor. My optical drive is also dead but could be replaced for another $150.

I prefer a 17" screen and the convenience and portability of a laptop that has an optical drive built in. I primarily work with PDF and Word docs but also use my laptop for Netflix, Pandora, etc. The closest thing Apple now offers is the 15" non-retina MBP, and after I "upgrade" to a non-glare screen we're talking around 2k. I'm also wondering if I should hold out another few weeks to see what comes of the June 10 WWDC event.

If you were in similar circumstances how would you proceed?
You can get the same machine working for less on Ebay, I would not even thinking about repairing it, for $50 more you have a Base 2012 mac Mini!

You could get a refurb 17" from Apple if you like the 17 incher.
 

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
18,377
42
1123.6536.5321
I don't think that machine owes you anything and I wouldn't sink any more money into it. I would put your money towards a nice new machine, you'll be thanking yourself in the long run. Also, unless you are in a huge rush, I would wait for WWDC just to see if any updates are announced since it is not that far away.
 

festus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 1, 2013
8
0
Thanks for the excellent advice.:) I'm borrowing a friend's pc for the time being and waiting to see how the WWDC thing pans out.
 

SMDBill

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2013
255
1
The logic board on my 2006 17" MBP has been replaced twice in it's seven year history, and has now died for the third time. I could have it replaced with a used board (new ones are no longer available) for $550 including labor. My optical drive is also dead but could be replaced for another $150.

I prefer a 17" screen and the convenience and portability of a laptop that has an optical drive built in. I primarily work with PDF and Word docs but also use my laptop for Netflix, Pandora, etc. The closest thing Apple now offers is the 15" non-retina MBP, and after I "upgrade" to a non-glare screen we're talking around 2k. I'm also wondering if I should hold out another few weeks to see what comes of the June 10 WWDC event.

If you were in similar circumstances how would you proceed?
It's already 7 years old and could likely have another component fail soon after this repair. At some point you have to look at its value versus cost to repair AND its life expectancy after that repair without another major investment (relative to its value).
 

festus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 1, 2013
8
0
It's already 7 years old and could likely have another component fail soon after this repair. At some point you have to look at its value versus cost to repair AND its life expectancy after that repair without another major investment (relative to its value).
You're absolutely right. Ordered me a new MacBook Pro non-retina (so I can still have the optical drive and non-glare screen) and am very happy with the decision. Thanks for your input.