Replace my Late 2009 iMac

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hkbladelawkhk, Jun 4, 2017.

1. hkbladelawkhk macrumors member

It's coming time where I'm starting to go OCD over replacing my 2009, 20gb ram, 1st gen i7 iMac. While it's working fine for now, I'm coming into a time where I'm starting to want more video editing capabilities, and my 512mb card isn't cutting it.

I'm considering a refurbed 2016 with 2.9ghz i7, 16gb ram, 1tb ssd and the 4gb of GPU ram. It's around 3600 with apple care.

Eventually, end goal will be to use a Bizon box should I need more power.

I keep finding myself wanting more portability, need some nudges from my other mac buddies! Let me know thoughts.

2. MadDane macrumors 6502a

Do you want both portability and power at the same time? Depending on what you want it might make sense to get both a powerful desktop and a small and portable device instead of a "big" laptop to cover all bases.

I have the same iMac (late 2009, i7) and I would not give up the large screen for a laptop sized screen. I know you can get the 5k Ultrafine (and other screens) but it is not quite as convenient (for me) as a desktop.

3. hkbladelawkhk, Jun 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2017

hkbladelawkhk thread starter macrumors member

I did consider that. Though to do that would be much more expensive (IE. 3800 for new iMac, min of 1000 for mba, plus applecare). I would likely keep my iMac until I can't repair it anymore as well. Chances are I would dock the laptop if I went that route. I just wonder if 16 will work compared to my 20. I work with vms on occasion.