replace new hdd with a fresh install of MacOS.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by takkie, Dec 26, 2014.

1. takkie macrumors newbie

Hello,

Machine: 2011 MBP unibody with 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo.

i am trying to replace the hdd from 240gb to 1tb sata, and i have some questions. i read many reviews/guide, but all requires using an enclosure or time machine or backing up existing first, but i think i want to do it differently, but unable to find guides to achieve what i want.

my mbp does not come with recovery disk, and from what i read, the existing hdd has a seperation partition for fresh reinstall. I do not have a 2.5 USB Enclosure which makes it impossible for me to first install the new hdd before doing a physical swap.

I want to get a fresh install without any software becuase over last few years, i installed a bunch of junk software which i do not want to carry on... and i think i have some spyware going on, so i just want to do backup manually (Files, pictures, documents), and i can reinstall software one by one myself.

I have a seperate portable 750gb hdd, which i can use to backup my files to. But i do not know how to get a fresh mac os reinstall after I do a physical swap.

I also want to upgrade to the latest MAC OS which is free, but i ahve been hesitant to do this with my existing HDD since its a waste effort.

Can you suggest me what is the best way to achieve this?

Thanks.

2. posguy99 macrumors 6502

It's a 2011. Boot to Internet Recovery after replacing the drive, reinstall the OS.

3. takkie, Dec 26, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2014

takkie thread starter macrumors newbie

I found that it is command option R to access internet recovery during start up. That should be it, correct? After i install Lion, then i can do another upgrade to mavericks after i boot into Lion?

i am looking at to buy this hdd:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145875

any comments? (I think any hdd will just work, and there isnt a "Mac" specific hdd to buy, right?

Thanks a million.

4. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

You can go that route which is fine. In my opinion, it would be easier to download Mavericks from the MAS, if that is what you want to use, (or Yosemite) and create a USB installer, so that you can do a fresh install of whichever OS you want. Very easy to do and more direct.

Mavericks
    http://www.macworld.com/article/2056561/how-to-make-a-bootable-mavericks-install-drive.html

Yosemite
    http://www.macworld.com/article/236...otable-os-x-10-10-yosemite-install-drive.html

That HDD will work. However, if budget allows, I would get an SSD. You can get a 120 GB for close to the price of the HDD. Put the OS and apps on the SDD only, and turn your current HDD into an external USB drive for backup / storage purposes. Something to think about.

5. takkie, Dec 26, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2014

takkie thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. I thought about ssd - but my iphoto db itself is about 200gb, i dont want to be using a external drive each time i look at photos..etc... and the price for a >500gb ssd is crazy expensive...

Is there any easier way to do that?

On the other hand, i also saw this for 50 bucks but it is a 5400 and 3.0gb/s speed.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-Index-_-AllLaptopHardDrives-_-22149377-S1A1C

So basically, 50 bucks for a Toshiba 1TB 5400rpm 3.0gb/s VS 70 bucks for TravelStar 1TB 7200rpm 6.0gb/s.

Does that speed justify the 20 bucks difference?

Thanks.

6. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

If budget allows, you can get a Crucial SSD (512 GB) for $199.00 on Amazon right now. That would be much better for your photo database work, than using a 5400 or even 7200 HDD, especially if the photos are large. If budget is a concern right now, go with the 7200. In my opinion, it is worth the $20.00 difference.

7. takkie thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks again.
    i will go with 7200 for now.

8. takkie thread starter macrumors newbie

hi.

i am unable to download mavericks from appstore - it keeps saying, "Its not available in your region" but my region is US.

is there anyway to get the latest mavericks so i can make a installer?

after reading some online reviews, i think i will stick with mavericks rather than yosemite.

Thanks.