replace Notes/contacts/ in 10.9 with 10.8 versions?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by iOrbit, Aug 10, 2013.

1. iOrbit macrumors 6502a

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Try it and report back.

I'm kind of doubtful though.

3. iOrbit thread starter macrumors 6502a

i don't have 10.9, not a developer, hoping one here could try or tell me

:eek:

4. benwiggy macrumors 68020

What is the reason for your interest in this? Why do you need/want/prefer the 10.8 versions of these apps, if you haven't used the 10.9 ones?

5. iOrbit thread starter macrumors 6502a

the unfinished look bothers me alot, i like how 10.8 looked better than 10.9

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

My advice is to stay with 10.8 then. Generally speaking moving parts of the supplied apps to a different OS tends to produce problems. I think the majority of people are happy to see skeuomorphism being removed from OSX and iOS

7. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Looks aside, new functionality has been added in Mavrix notes: most notably, the "Find" commands have been activated once again so you can search within a document. Haven't been able to do this since Snow Leopard. How this was missed in two complete OS versions and countless updates is beyond me. :eek:

8. Doolbr macrumors newbie

To be honest, the real problem with skeuomorphism was that it was overused, it shouldn't be in the address book and calendar on OS X. But skeuomorphism was good on iOS, except for some bad examples like the leather in find my friends (which is in fact not really skeuomorphism), and the way they are going now with iOS7 is something I don't like. It's more than just flat, it is boring and less intuitive... almost feels like an underdeveloped Android. I do hope the look will be more finished and polished when it is released.
    In my opinion there was nothing wrong with using textures and gradients, as long as it wasn't overused. Some nice examples of adding textures to finish the overal feeling are apps like Reeder, Path, Sunrise, Fantastical,... And sometimes, the skeuomorphism gave an added value to the usability of the phone, like Compass, iBooks, iTunes U, ... Unfortunately, things did go out of control with Forstall, like the Find my Friends app, the changes in OS X... But this shouldn't mean doing a 180 on a whole UI.

9. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

It's insulting in modern times... a throwback to the eighties and I suspect was resurrected for nostalgic purposes - nothing more.

R.I.P.

10. Doolbr macrumors newbie

This has nothing to do with the eighties, skeuomorphism is invented to mimic the realworld appliances that the app/software is supposed to replace. The fact that we now go from intuitive applications to less intuitive applications is the insult here.

11. iOrbit thread starter macrumors 6502a

i'm only interested in the question of replacing the apps, not the opinions of others about skeuomorphism, or the look of 10.8 or 10.9

10.9 makes me want to upgrade because of the performance enhancements, and because of iBooks/Finder/Multiple Monitors etc.

i really don't want to stay on 10.8 and i really want my system to look finished too. notes looks terrible.

12. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

real world appliances? Who the hell uses leather binders and tear-off calendars? Actually, who uses a pencil and paper these days... (never mind).

Skeuomorphism was prevalent in the 80's/early 90's to ease fears and offer new users (practically everyone back then) a bridge to computing. Now it's just plain offensive and consumes valuable screen real estate on today's smaller displays.

Oh. Never mind then.

As suggested earlier, somebody could try copying the apps over. You go first.

13. benwiggy macrumors 68020

All you need to do is copy the apps over, archiving the 10.9 versions safely elsewhere.
    You might get crashes; you might not. However, running any system update that alters those apps or subcomponents will cause you problems.

If a system update alters /Applications/Notes.app/Resources/<something>, then that may stop the app from working, or may flag that the update has not been successful.

You will also not be able to use or access any of the new functions and features in Mavx while working with those apps, as they don't have the code to deal with those.

In short: you will lose a lot and have to maintain a lot more for the very small benefit of a slightly different visual effect.
    Personally, I can see that Notes might be a little bit unattractive; but I can't really see any huge problem with Contacts. It's almost exactly the same, minus the book effect round the edge.

14. iOrbit thread starter macrumors 6502a

"You will also not be able to use or access any of the new functions and features in Mavx while working with those apps, as they don't have the code to deal with those."

thats really bad if thats true. are you certain? have you tried??
    when you say the new functions and features, which features? why won't it work? i can't believe the look of the app can make the app files so different that it affects the rest of the system so much

i can live with contacts, its ok enough but yes, notes really bothers me, i use these apps all the time on both my ipad and mac. i think Ive was a fool for starting a makeover on both iOS and Mountain Lion and allowing them to leave notes unfinished.

i guess when i get my hands on 10.9 i will give it ago, if replacing the whole app doesn't work, ill try and replace specific files inside of the package contents folders

15. benwiggy macrumors 68020

If you replace the 10.9 app with the 10.8 app, then the 10.8 app has not been written to include anything that is new to 10.9. Obviously, because they couldn't see into the future when they wrote it.

Here's any earlier example from Lion. Lion introduced AutoSave and Full Screen. But you needed a new version of any app in order for the app to autosave or to go Full Screen.

Therefore any new features or interconnectivity that the 10.9 apps have will be missing if you use the 10.8 apps.

16. iOrbit thread starter macrumors 6502a

yeah, i presume you mean of the 10.8 Apps specifically though, not system wide, i.e. no ibooks/multiple monitors, finder tabes/taggs / timer coalescing and other mavericks optimisations of the system

17. benwiggy macrumors 68020

Yes, obviously everything else will be unaffected.

18. borostef macrumors 6502

borostef

Well... I kind of liked it, and I wasn't insulted by it... ;)
    I don't see why an app that is "replacing" a notebook or a calendar shouldn't look like one... I personally don't like the new design of iOS 7 and some of the apps in OSX 10.9...