Replace old MacBook F keys with new ones?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JSchwage, Dec 20, 2007.

1. JSchwage macrumors 6502a

JSchwage

I bought a refurbished MacBook a few weeks ago and I love it. Unfortunately, it's the older model with the GMA 950 video, less spacing where the grill is, and the older style function (F) keys.

I was wondering if it would be possible for me to buy the newer style F keys, pop the old ones off, and stick on the new ones. After reading a post the other day about some guy breaking his MBP keyboard by taking off his keys, I'm not feeling too good about it. So it's either that or get a new keyboard, and I'd rather not do that because I'd like to keep my warranty.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Its really easy to pop the keys off and on on the Macbook...you can do it with your fingers...

3. rhyndu macrumors regular

Newer style function keys?

I've owned both a rev 2 and rev 3 macbook and used rev 1 and 4... and haven't seen any difference in function keys. Care to elaborate?

Are you sure you are not talking about the new Apple keyboard for Desktop?

Sorry if this was some new gem of the MacBook Santa Rosa! (talking about bad usage of PRs...)

4. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Sometimes apple likes to change the keys very slightly between revisions, so it is possible that it will work, but it also has a good chance that it will not.

5. upsguy27 macrumors 65816

upsguy27

The new macbooks have little symbols on the function keys telling what each one does, and I THINK they are a different size.