Replace old tripod

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by dimme, Jul 26, 2015.

1. dimme macrumors 65816

I am looking to replace my 25+ year old Gitzo reporter tripod.(about 5 feet extended with center column up) I am looking form something similar with a ball and socket type head. The most weight on to would be a Nikon D750 w/ a 70 to 300 VR lens. I will be carrying it on hikes with a shoulder bag and a dog. (I really need to train the dog to cary the tripod)

2. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

It depends upon how much you want to spend. If you're planning on doing a lot of hiking and carrying it around, then probably you'll want to look into carbon fiber models. Obviously, you've had a long life with your Gitzo, so you may want to start there. Really Right Stuff made in CA makes great tripods but they are pricey. I had a Manfrotto several years ago but switched to a tripod with the twist knobs for adjusting the legs like Gitzo-RRS has. I found it easier and quicker to use.

3. deep diver macrumors 65816

deep diver

I have a Vangard. Very good quality and reasonable price. There is no substitute, however, for going to the local camera shop and getting a feel for them.

4. kenoh macrumors demi-god

kenoh

I use a Manfrotto x190db or something like that with the medium ball head. I think it is too heavy for you. Nice and sturdy but a but weighty.

5. someoldguy macrumors 65816

I'll second Deep Diver's advice to go to a local shop and 'try on' tripods .I was in your position a few years back and that was what I did . Ended up spending more than I'd planned , but haven't regretted it since . There has to be a few reputable brick and mortar stores in the Bay Area .

6. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

I did just that within the past 2 months and picked up a nice, sturdy but lightweight inexpensive travel tripod; saved money and supported my local camera store.

7. ChrisA macrumors G4

Buy a Gitzo Traveler. You obviously liked the Gitzo Reporter. The Traveler is even nicer and lighter. You can fit any kind of head on the Gitzo legs.

For myself I just don't have the money for a Gitzo of any kind. So I lug around my massively heavy Manofrotto that I bought back when I was shooting with a medium format camera

With tripods there are three features we all would like to have:
    1) light weight
    2) strength and stability
    3) low cost
    But you only get to choose TWO of the above. Pick any two you like but only two.

8. Ray2 macrumors 6502a

The Gitzo Traveler is a very nice travel tripod. A pro friend of mine uses one with his Canon and large/fast mid-range zooms. Sturdy and well made. I've used it.

I decided to go with a Sirui T-025X for my Fuji gear. Very pleased but I would not put a dslr with a large zoom on it.

9. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

10. iTiki macrumors 6502

Check out the new Manfrotto BeFree. Carbon fiber model is just over 2 lb. Pricing not bad for what it is.

11. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Not sure that will carry a D750 with a 300 mm lens though. Otherwise I'd snap one up.

12. Cheese&Apple, Jul 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2015

Cheese&Apple macrumors 68000

Cheese&Apple

As others have mentioned, Gitzo or Really Right Stuff for the tripod. For a ball head, I would recommend the Really Right Stuff BH-40 for your set-up. This ball head means going arca-swiss compatible which will add to the cost with a camera plate if you don't already have one but it's well worth it.

Get something with a load rating higher than you expect to support. I had a Manfrotto ball head that they claimed would support the load I was putting on it but every time I took my hands off the camera it would sag or drop at the lens end. What a waste of money.

This stuff is crazy expensive but you've got a great camera and want to make sure it's well supported. An inexpensive set-up will only frustrate you to the point where don't use it and regret buying it.

13. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

My first tripod was a "Star-D" which was a bit clunky but faithful all the way up to 4x5 view camera gear. I later changed over to Gitzo and was very happy (with RRS ballhead). I also have a BeFree tripod.

From all of this, I'll just say - consider what height you want to use and include that into your search. As well, given your longer lens, always best to mount the camera/lens by a lens foot for better balance and stability rather than the camera body. Last - even a BeFree would work if you consider a makeshift way to keep it stable such as hanging your camera bag on the leg portion or through a hook on the bottom of the head mount (along with not raising the center leg/pole all the way up).