Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dimme

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 14, 2007
SF, CA
I am looking to replace my 25+ year old Gitzo reporter tripod.(about 5 feet extended with center column up) I am looking form something similar with a ball and socket type head. The most weight on to would be a Nikon D750 w/ a 70 to 300 VR lens. I will be carrying it on hikes with a shoulder bag and a dog. (I really need to train the dog to cary the tripod)

fcortese

macrumors demi-god
Apr 3, 2010
Big Sky country
It depends upon how much you want to spend. If you're planning on doing a lot of hiking and carrying it around, then probably you'll want to look into carbon fiber models. Obviously, you've had a long life with your Gitzo, so you may want to start there. Really Right Stuff made in CA makes great tripods but they are pricey. I had a Manfrotto several years ago but switched to a tripod with the twist knobs for adjusting the legs like Gitzo-RRS has. I found it easier and quicker to use.

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
I use a Manfrotto x190db or something like that with the medium ball head. I think it is too heavy for you. Nice and sturdy but a but weighty.

someoldguy

macrumors 68030
Aug 2, 2009
usa
I'll second Deep Diver's advice to go to a local shop and 'try on' tripods .I was in your position a few years back and that was what I did . Ended up spending more than I'd planned , but haven't regretted it since . There has to be a few reputable brick and mortar stores in the Bay Area .

fcortese

macrumors demi-god
Apr 3, 2010
Big Sky country
I'll second Deep Diver's advice to go to a local shop and 'try on' tripods .I was in your position a few years back and that was what I did . Ended up spending more than I'd planned , but haven't regretted it since . There has to be a few reputable brick and mortar stores in the Bay Area .

I did just that within the past 2 months and picked up a nice, sturdy but lightweight inexpensive travel tripod; saved money and supported my local camera store.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I am looking to replace my 25+ year old Gitzo reporter tripod.(about 5 feet extended with center column up) I am looking form something similar with a ball and socket type head. The most weight on to would be a Nikon D750 w/ a 70 to 300 VR lens. I will be carrying it on hikes with a shoulder bag and a dog. (I really need to train the dog to cary the tripod)

Buy a Gitzo Traveler. You obviously liked the Gitzo Reporter. The Traveler is even nicer and lighter. You can fit any kind of head on the Gitzo legs.

For myself I just don't have the money for a Gitzo of any kind. So I lug around my massively heavy Manofrotto that I bought back when I was shooting with a medium format camera

With tripods there are three features we all would like to have:
1) light weight
2) strength and stability
3) low cost
But you only get to choose TWO of the above. Pick any two you like but only two.

Reactions: phrehdd

Ray2

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2014
The Gitzo Traveler is a very nice travel tripod. A pro friend of mine uses one with his Canon and large/fast mid-range zooms. Sturdy and well made. I've used it.

I decided to go with a Sirui T-025X for my Fuji gear. Very pleased but I would not put a dslr with a large zoom on it.

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto
As others have mentioned, Gitzo or Really Right Stuff for the tripod. For a ball head, I would recommend the Really Right Stuff BH-40 for your set-up. This ball head means going arca-swiss compatible which will add to the cost with a camera plate if you don't already have one but it's well worth it.

Get something with a load rating higher than you expect to support. I had a Manfrotto ball head that they claimed would support the load I was putting on it but every time I took my hands off the camera it would sag or drop at the lens end. What a waste of money.

This stuff is crazy expensive but you've got a great camera and want to make sure it's well supported. An inexpensive set-up will only frustrate you to the point where don't use it and regret buying it.

Last edited:

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
My first tripod was a "Star-D" which was a bit clunky but faithful all the way up to 4x5 view camera gear. I later changed over to Gitzo and was very happy (with RRS ballhead). I also have a BeFree tripod.

From all of this, I'll just say - consider what height you want to use and include that into your search. As well, given your longer lens, always best to mount the camera/lens by a lens foot for better balance and stability rather than the camera body. Last - even a BeFree would work if you consider a makeshift way to keep it stable such as hanging your camera bag on the leg portion or through a hook on the bottom of the head mount (along with not raising the center leg/pole all the way up).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.