Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rodrigoluizb

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2013
Campinas, SP, Brazil
Hey guys

My 21.5 mid 2011 iMac has the optical - a useless part for me, so i wanna replace it for a SSD (i know the SATA from the OD is sata2, but i'm not planning put the fastest SSD, but something like a 840 EVO or M500).

I know there is a lot of adapters with which i can replace a optical drive for a SSD, but i need to know the size of the stock OD from my iMac - 9.5mm or 12.7mm.

I'm planning to use this adapter just because i don't wanna disassemble all the mac to access the sata ports from the Logic Board. As the OD has a micro-sata interface, i'm looking for this adapter.

Just in case anybody doesn't know what adapter is, it's something like the OWC data doubler:

41IkCSXbPiL.jpg

biohead

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2010
West Drayton, UK
I think its 9.7mm... but don't hold me to that. A few things to consider though...

• Even though you say you're not going to get the fastest SSD, even an 840 EVO or M500 will saturate SATA-II;
  • There is a free SATA-III socket on the iMac (you just need a power cable). If you're replacing the ODD, you're already most of the way to getting access to that port;
  • The ODD has a temperature sensor - if you remove the ODD, that missing sensor will send the fans into overdrive.

That last point is probably the largest, and I don't know if there's a way to overcome that (unlike replacing the HDD where a fix now exists).

rodrigoluizb

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2013
Campinas, SP, Brazil
I already have a 256GB 840 pro installed on the 3rd sata connection, and it has my OSX, some heavy programs like FCPX, Logic, adobe CS6 and it has a bootcamp partition. The problem is the SSD became too small, and my BC has only 40GB. I'd like to install some games like Flight Simulator X, GTA IV which is 10GB each and other programs i usually use, like Matlab, 3ds and sony Vegas. Today, these programs are installed on my 1tb HDD, but i want to move then to a SSD to boost its performance, specially sony vegas. As i'm not using the optical drive, i'd like to replace it for a SSD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.