replace optical drive with sata hard disk on ppc macmini

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by shahaedsuma, Oct 3, 2010.

1. shahaedsuma macrumors newbie

Mine is 2005 model mac mini.

Model Identifier: PowerMac10,1
    Processor Name: PowerPC G4 (1.2)
    Processor Speed: 1.42 GHz

this is an old machine, can i replace optical drive with sata hard disk 2.5'' with any size like 500GB, Internally not externally.

warm regards

shahaed

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

3. shahaedsuma thread starter macrumors newbie

is that possible to change motherboard to core 2 duo...

I want my mini to become a Monster machine.
    and how i know its a intel one...
    If single core migration to core 2 duo is possible.

or i go for new mac mini.

4. Baby Mac macrumors regular

Baby Mac

That may depend in part on whether Core 2 Duo ever made its way onto pre-mid-2010 minis. Since the dimension of the new mini is slightly larger, you may not be able to fit the new board in the old mini. I don't know the cost of the new board by itself, and whether it would be cost-effective. You could also have a power-supply issue, since it is built-in to the new mini.

5. Rapscallion macrumors regular

Take a look at ifixit, the guys over there have taken apart every model of the mini and give step by step instructions to do so.

I'm not sure of the dimensions of the different models or if the placement of screws, fasteners and what not inside the different models had changed throughout its history, but if you spend some time comparing the tear down of your model vs. the tear down of a core 2 duo model you may find that the parts are compatable. I would certainly research this thoroughly to ensure the parts are interchangable before spending any money, better to be safe then sorry.

here is a link to the mini section at ifixit

http://www.ifixit.com/Browse/Mac_Mini