Replace Optical Drive with SSD or HDD Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iammike1, Jul 23, 2011.

1. iammike1 macrumors 6502a

iammike1

Pretty simple, I have a 120GB Intel 320 Sata II and a 1TB Samsung Spintpoint M8 Sata II. I have an OWC Data Doubler on the way.

Is there one way better than the other for positions of the drives? Since they are both SATA II I'd think not but I want to be sure.

Would it be better to have the SSD or the HDD in the Optical Bay? Does it even matter?

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

Some people have reported sleep issues with the SSD in the optical bay.

FWIW, if the Samsung is not equipped with it's own free fall sensor, I would put it in the HD bay so that the MBP's can do it for it.

3. seong macrumors 65816

seong

+1 exactly what I wanted to say.

4. iammike1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

iammike1

Trying to figure out now if it has the SMS. Everything I keep reading just says "enhanced shock protection" and I'm not sure that means the same as Sudden Motion Sensor.

5. dsio macrumors regular

Alternatively, don't drop your laptop. Works for me ;)

6. iammike1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

iammike1

I doubt most people are dropping their laptops on purpose. These kinds of precautions are for those situations we try to avoid but sometimes, **** just happens.

7. dsio macrumors regular

Oh yea I do realize that, its just that I've carried a laptop in a bag since forever, before these technologies existed, had one fall off the roof of an Audi and another go under the back wheel of the same car, and I've never had a HDD die of anything other than the click of death on an old Hitachi.

But that's neither here nor there, you've got it, may as well use it.